Blanked-off gas connection above kitchen sink

There are two 1/2" square steel caps protruding through holes in the kitchen tiles, just about flush with the surface of the tiles.

I think that there must have been one of those gas "hot water on demand" things above the sink in the old days.

I could just about get away with tiling over the existing tiles to totally conceal these. However this does seem a bit naughty.

I presume that the gas is still connected hence the plugs.

Is it permissible to just tile over or will I need a CORGI person to cut the pipe and cap the supply pipe lower down (Behind the sink) so that this connection and pipe can be removed? Can a CORGI engineer cap the pipe in a way that it can be plastered and tiled over?

The pipe that emerges from the gas meter, simply goes into the concrete floor and then, somehow branches off for this connection, the boiler and also an unused gas cooker point (also capped off).

Thanks for any advice.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

They may well still be connected to a live gas supply seeing as how the other gas pipes are buried in the floor.

you can:

1) Live with it. 2) Get some help to cap it off further back in the wall, or lower down. One of the two plugs is probably mains water, are you sure that both the gas and water are the pipes are accessible below the sink, not just the water? 3) Do this yourself if you know what you are doing and have the right tools and materials.
Reply to
Ed Sirett

Thanks Ed

I think that they are probably live.

Would that include tiling over?

If I cut out sufficient room, can a gas engineer terminate this pipe in situ so that it can be plastered over and forgotten about without problems?

No, not sure. The plugs are in-line so I assumed them to be both part of the gas supply, although I thought it strange that it needed two connections. If there is a water connection, again buried and in walls, that I do not know about. I guess that I should expose this "thing" from behind the tiles for a better look and gingerly undo these blanking plugs and see what comes out ;-)

Maybe! At the moment it seems that I don't know what I am doing!

Thanks Ed, I think that I need to get the tiles off and expose this beast.

Tomorrow job... I'll report back ;-)

Many thanks

Steve

Reply to