Blackboard paint and a suitable substrate

I've used blackboard paint directly on plaster before with ok results but I want to make one to fix to the inside of a panelled door.

I happened to catch an episode of "How it's Made" the other day on TV (Quest) and they showed a blackboard being made a metal (unspecified) surface bonded to a ply backing and then sprayed with blackboard paint.

Plywood especially from the sheds has a really crap surface finish that even a lengthy spell with a sander probably can't fix so I was thinking of a similar approach to the commercial ones shown on the tv.

Would I be better with mild steel, aluminium or something else, maybe mdf bonded to a plywood backing?

Any recommendations for blackboard paint?

Reply to
The Other Mike

MDF?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Its steel, allows magnets to stick.

MDF unless you need the steel.

You can buy blackboard paint so I would use that.

Reply to
dennis

Yup, that's what I used when I did one for the kids. nice smooth surface.

Blackboard paint - what ever is in the shop, which will most likely be International Paints version it seems

Reply to
chris French

The shiny side of hardboard is a good stopgap.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

If you want to use plywood rather than the much smoother MDF then a good smooth surface for paint can be achieved by using car body filler applied with a steel scraper and sanded down afterwards.

If you use an angle grinder for the sanding (not really recommended unless you like a rustic finish) you will have managed to use the two universal uk.d-i-y solutions to all problems in one project.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Did you really mean to say that?

Reply to
The Other Mike

It's dennis. I expect the medication is wearing off.

Reply to
Huge

Yes.

But to be more specific, this looks good

claims to make stuff like MDF magnetic and black.

Reply to
dennis