Black, 'Cast Iron' door furniture.

Hi,
We are having a new, wooden front door and want to fit some 'antiquey' looking black, 'cast iron' door furniture.
A builder friend has told me that the stuff in B&Q is not very well made. It's all packed in plastic so I can't check it out.
I am therefore on the lookout for some decent quality fittings that won't damage too easily if the paint gets scratched, as being by the sea, corrosion may soon set in.
Where can I find 'good quality' black, cast iron effect, door furniture - there's a lot on the web, but I can't see the quality.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Keith

Then open it!
--
Skipweasel
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:08:26 -0000, "Keith \(Dorset\)"

The Dartington range www.dartington.com is well made cast ?iron? door and window furniture which costs about 9 for a window catch and which I ordered through a good local architectural ironmonger. If you want something more expensive then it will be forged by a blacksmith eg http://www.limelightgb.com/ or http://www.jim-lawrence.co.uk /
Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
Keith (Dorset) wrote:

WWW.jimlawrence.co.uk is pretty good stuff.
I have found most of what I wanted at the builders merchants for ordinary stuff like door handles bolts and latches and the like

Look for Architectural Ironmongers in Yellow Pages. They will have a wide range - IME usually in tatty cardboard boxes stuffed under a counter, where nobody who has not been working there for 50 years would know what box to look in.
Colin Bignell
if you are near Dorchester there is a very good Architectural Ironmongers called Dorchester Architectural,they should be able to provide with any quality you require
Very near Dorch.
Thanks Alex. I was wondering about them!
Best wishes,
Keith

and many thanks again for all your help!
Brest wishes,
Keith