Bit O.T. but ...

We tend to eat late (we've just finished now) and don't want rubbish hanging around the kitchen over night, so we tend to take the day's rubbish out after the evening meal.

Windows/interior lights are useless, unless you want to open the windows and unfasten and then open the shutters. A nuisance and also loses heat.

The exterior light is okay, but doesn't light all the way up the driveway and then the road to the communal bin and the ditches either side are fairly deep!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have one of those 'miner's lamp' torches, for when I take out the wheelie bin in the dark. The outside lights don't reach as far as the end of the drive.

Reply to
S Viemeister

We've rented this place on a number of occasions;

clear nights we sit outside and look at the sky, because it is, as you say;

One of my favourite movies. And no, I didn't Google it.

Reply to
Huge

There's a french company which make products ideal for this situation. Founded by a caver.

models are available :-)

Reply to
Clive George

Fairy nuff, we have a bin in the kitchen lined with the council bin bag. Just gets hoiked out tied and put by the road side on bin day. The little food waste we generate goes into a small lidded compost bin also in the kitchen, the bin bag is mostly plastic films/wrappers, glass, tins, card etc gets recycled.

I wouldn't be keen on going out to put stuff into a bin tonight, it's blowing an F6, nearly F7 (30mph susutained) and windchill is about

-5C. Any loose bit of rubbish would disappear across the fells unless you are very careful.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That line isn't in the movie only the book...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Really?

The Other Mike

(I'm not convinced, either. I could have sworn the quote is in 2001.)

Reply to
Huge

Possibly. I don't think it's in the original.

No, the last 15 mins or so have no dialogue, IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Streater

*That* bit of Video is the start of 2010. The quote is from 2001, said as Bowman is sucked into the orbiting monolith, for the stargate sequence, before appearing in the bedroom.
Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, I know. I've seen it many times, but not for some years. I suppose I'd better watch the end again while I'm eating my lunch. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Some trivia for you. In an interview of one of the first Apollo astronauts to orbit the moon, he admitted a strong temptation to quote that line just as they disappeared round the far side of the moon on their first orbit.

Reply to
John Williamson

Does NASA senior management have a sense of humour?

(No, of course not. They're senior management.)

Reply to
Huge

Correct that line is not in the orginal movie.

2001.)

It's in the book.

Nearer 30 mins, I watched it last night to make sure... B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm sure Clarke mentions this in "The lost worlds of 2001". I'm not going to read it again now just to check...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Tim Streater writes

As stated by a previous poster, the line appears in 2010 and is supposed to be Dave Bowman's final words in 2001. He does not say these words in

2001 (the film) but they are in the book.
Reply to
James Noble

Yes, it's like that here in rural Minnesota - but the state's about the size of England with only about 5 million people (and a million of them are down around Minneapolis and St. Paul), so I can understand why it's not economical to maintain an England-like road infrastructure.

It took a while to get used to when I first moved over here, but you do learn to adapt. We're under snow for just about half the year here anyway, so road markings end up useless.

I think the worst aspect over here is the street name signage - e.g. for a point where two roads cross, the major road of the two will typically have no sign at all, while the minor one will have one small, unlit white- on-green sign high up on a pole on one side of the major road or the other (never both), so if you're coming into somewhere unfamilar at night and trying to follow directions they're very difficult to read.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

"Colder than a well digger's ass" as Tom Waits would say. No, hang on, that was Wisconsin.

Reply to
stuart noble