best wideband TV aerial?

If you had a log40 outside I'd say that your 35dBuV/m would be adequate but I don't think it's enough for a loft mount where a loss of 10dB wouldn't be unusual.

I've tried (and failed) to pull in 25dBuV/m at 26 miles with a log40 mounted outside but I was limited in the gain of the amp as there was a strong signal from a local relay with the channels interleaved.

My own location has a quoted 51dBuV/m and I use one of these

to counter the losses though the roof which is thickly boarded and felted in Scottish style with concrete tiles on top. Performance is fine with the odd blip in reception on the more susceptible mux codings which I expect to disappear with the power increases on analogue switch off.

Reply to
fred

I dont believe the figures they are quoting though.

I think I am getting more than that.

My roof is lightly felted with plastic sheet, not boarded and has thin clay tiles on it. Or the bit with the aerial in it does.

I got perfectly good reception with an aerial on the camper at only 8ft off the ground and a tiny little 5 element X beam yagi.

I think what I have is falling off a cliff at the top end. And thats the problem.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ITV2:754000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_AUTO:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:530:531:8325

So that's the Channel 56 version of mux 2 from the main sudbury tx and not the chan 68 one from sudbury B

MUX 2 carries ITV1 + ITV2 / ITV4 + C4 + C5 / More4 / 4plus1 / E4

I went for:

a couple of hundred. Paid for itself a few times over now ;-)

(not quite like have a full blown analyser - but way better than nothing!)

Reply to
John Rumm

ITV2:754000000:INVERSION_AUTO:BANDWIDTH_8_MHZ:FEC_2_3:FEC_AUTO:QAM_64:TRANSMISSION_MODE_2K:GUARD_INTERVAL_1_32:HIERARCHY_NONE:530:531:8325

Maybe Tony has one, and could be bribed with a bottle of entre deux legs?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I must have missed that bit... but if it is a group B then its going to be having difficulty with the top end of subbury's output.

If that;s the case you could try Bill's suggested tweak:

(attacked mine with the bench sander!)

Reply to
John Rumm

One dish, quattro LNB, 4 feeds from dish to multiswitch with suitable number of outlets, feeds from multiswitch to TVs, simples. With 7 sets already I assume you already have an RF DA and all feeds to the tellies come from that(*). The multiswitch replaces the RF DA, decent ones will also distribute FM, DAB and UHF when given the feeds. There might be a slight problem if the feeds to the tellies are not down in decent coax.

(*) If they don't then is your naff mux down to naff cabling? Though unlikely with the split you mention.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That might be noise prolly self generated in your system..

Why not is a TV aerial that naff to look at?..

What do you spend more time doing in a year looking at the TV or the Aerial for the TV;?..

In the meantime you could read a good book;)..

Or two..

Reply to
tony sayer

Right do this remarkable aerialywould can tell the difference betwixt wanted and unwanted signals;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I suppose that might happen .. I've got to go over that way before long;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

On a Group C aerial even;?...

It used to be used quite well In Newmarket years ago before ye heath started up...

So what do you use for FM?..

I sometimes wonder why they didn't do away with Manningtree and move that up to Sudbury or Workhouse Green rather..

Can all be done with a multiswitch and one cable..

Reply to
tony sayer

I think the point is that unwanted signals are way out of band.

You don't e.g,. get low Mhz stuff satarationg the front end Or summat.

No, I don't believe it either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Tacky.