Best plumbing for a toilet?

I'm planning on a few new toilets - what's the best kind of drainage set up so that its easy to clean if there's ever a blockage?

Should the drainage pipes be directly underneath or to a side? Should there be an inspection cover or not?

George

Reply to
George Miles

strange question

Reply to
Jimmy Stewart ...

I think we need a bit more information... where are they (ground floor, first floor).

Are there existing drains, soil pipes? Are you installing new in ground pipe runs?

Do you mean where they connect to the pan itself?

(in a general sense, access points etc generally a "good thing")

Approved Doc H - Drainage and Waste disposal is a good place to start on piping for soil systems:

John Rumm

yes, a new run, ground floor. to be buried under a new floor, but maybe its better to keep it above the floor until it leaves the house?

the toilet as close the the wall behind it as possible, the waste running away at right angles.

and possibility of upgrading it to a disabled loo either later or when built, im not getting younger!

[g]
Reply to
George Miles

We have a one way valve at the top of our internal soil pipe boxed in behind the upstairs loo.

However that isn't the final point in the run of soil pipe so this is permissible.

The pipe goes under the house, being joined by the pipework from the ground floor wet room.

It had to be sunk into the far edge of the original concrete raft to get the correct fall.

Not sure about your question about underneath or to the side. Normally the soil pipe run is behind the toilet and can be directly behind or offset, although one I did there was a few feet of horizontal(ish) from the toilet to the vertical stack outside.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

On common solution would be to exit the spigot on the pan with either a straight or right angle WC connector - then run to the nearest wall and go through at about the same level. Then on the outside of the wall connect to a branch fitting with a access plug fitted to the top of it.

e.g:

The branch can then drop down to a swept elbow to enter the (near) horizontal pipe run in the ground.

Reply to
John Rumm

George Miles snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1119762f-453f-4b80-9ba8- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Look at the back of WCs to gain an understanding of the outlet positions and then consider the plumbing.

Reply to
JohnP

Make sure SWMBO has 'approved' them, or you will be ripping them all out fairly quickly.

Reply to
Andrew

JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news:XnsACCD6423A76FAJohPnowherecom@81.171.92.236:

Consider potential problems with "back to the wall" bogs. The pipe gets hidden.

Reply to
JohnP

In message <XnsACCD89AFFBF21JohPnowherecom@81.171.92.236>, JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com writes

In my experience, it is difficult to arrange a local accessible isolating valve.

Reply to
Tim Lamb