Best lubricant for interior steel hinges?

As the subject. All my doors squeak and squeal as though they are auditioning for a Hammer horror movie. I have lubricated them with various greases and oils, to no avail. In a very short time they are off protesting again! Si any ideas as to the best, reasonably long lasting solution please?

Reply to
Broadback

Are you sure it's the metal on metal which is squeaking? I had a garden gate which squeaked despite oiling the hinges many times. I eventually worked out it was wood on wood or wood on metal (nails) which was making the noise. I gave up trying to solve it as it was outside and only very infrequently an issue.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

then you'll likely find that no lube solves it. Unless you've been lubing with something useless like WD40, in which case any real lubricant should do. Any sort of mineral oil - baby oil (yes, babies are mineral), engine oil, sewing machine oil, 3in1 or any other brand, any random leftover lube oil, etc etc. Not vegetable oil, marge or wd40.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do the hinges have a nylon inserts / washers / spacers?

Are you using a heavy oil and working it in properly?

We have rising buts on most of our doors and if they stop closing on their own I know they need a drop of heavy oil (they will then last a few years). I use some diff oil as that's nice a heavy and deals with the extreme pressures well.

If they do contain some plastic then you can get specific lubricants for such but a test would be to use some water.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I just use good old 3 in one myself. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

One issue I came across on a shed was that the plate of the hinge flexed due to the uneven surface one of the parts of the hinge was screwed to. Loosen the screws and see if it stops, at least then you will know its getting stiff due to deformation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Graphite usually used to squirt in lock barrels.

Reply to
Ray

"Ray" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

Are they mis-aligned and this is caused them to be stressed?

Reply to
John

I had the same thoughts as Jeff.

I still like good old 3 in 1 for this sort of thing. It's fairly thick so stays around well, and contains a rust inhibitor so it is particularly good in damp sheds, etc.

As an aside, baby oil is sometimes a highly refined mineral oil, but these days it can also be palm oil.

Reply to
newshound