Best for Boxing

The plumbers have been and we now have central heating. Due to the concrete floors the pipework is all on the surface - in most cases running just above the skirting (and will just need painting - what sort of paint for hot pipes?), but in a couple of places runs at high level along a wall, or has a vertical drop down an alcove. I'd like to box it in to make it look neater. Along the high-level run, I'll need a box about 2.7m long and 50mm*70mm in cross section. Down the alcove, I just want to make the alcove look 50mm smaller - so I guess I want to be able to plaster the work I do. I really don't know what to use - plasterboard? Ply? MDF? Hopefully Dad's old(er) bench saw is coming my way soon, so I'll not have to be cutting whatever manually!

Reply to
Stephen Gower

Plasterboard looks best and is least likely to shed a plaster and filler skim, but needs to be applied to a strong wooden frame.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

MDF is the most stable and has the best surface for painting.

Plasterboard would need struts to support it.

Plaster over metal mesh can be 'artistically' used for non-rectilinear shapes :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd say it depends on how you envisage the finish - will it be like woodwork (in which case use MDF, painted to match skirtings etc), or like the walls (in which case, MDF could still be used but plasterboard might be more suitable, especially if it's a large area - then use emulsion/wallpaper as per the walls). The larger the area to be covered, the more inclined I am to make it look like 'wall' - much less visible.

David

Reply to
David

Plasterboard it is then! (thanks for the advice, all)

Reply to
Stephen Gower