Best fixings for diy storage

I'm trying to build a made to measure cupboard in the style of a kitchen/wardrobe unit. I plan on using 18mm MDF throughout and was wondering what the best method of fixing the boards together. Most flat pack furniture seems to use a metal dowel and cam, but I wonder how practical this is for the DIY'er?

Any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
d-i-Why?!

How about chipboard screws and the matching stepped drill? It's fast, the alignment is easy and it's probably as strong as any other method. It's what "Norm" uses ...

Reply to
LSR

Do you want it to be de-mountable? If so, you can get quite a good selection of cam & dowel fixings from the likes of Screwfix. I see no reason why you can'y DIY these - but you need to be able to drill very accurately, so a pillar drill is probably required. If you don't feel confident with these, you could use K-D fittings like

they would, of course, be visible on the inside.

If it doesn't need to be de-mountable, why not just use wooden dowels and glue. You can buy dowelling jigs fairly cheaply, and you'll need sash cramps to hold it all together while the glue sets.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd say biscuits are quicker and easier than dowels. Get a Ferm or similar biscuit cutter, don't muck around with a biscuit tool in a router. Chipboard screws don't "take" so well in MDF IMHO

How about ply instead of MDF? Shuttering ply for economy at the expense of finish, also a bit lighter and tougher.

Reply to
Newshound

I would consider this - a cupboard made entirely of 18mm MDF is going to be a tad on the heavy side.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks for all the ideas.

Yes I had thought MDF would be heavy but I'm looking for a finish on the doors that almost like a painted wall and not sure ply would give that. I have read of light weight MDF but not sure how suitable or available this is.

I have doubts about my ability to drill accurately enough for the cam and dowel system, also I'm prepared to sacrifice being able to take it apart for strength and easy of assembly. Given I can pick up a joiner for =A325, I think biscuits are the way to go.

Reply to
d-i-Why?!