Best fixings for diy storage

I'm trying to build a made to measure cupboard in the style of a kitchen/wardrobe unit. I plan on using 18mm MDF throughout and was wondering what the best method of fixing the boards together. Most flat pack furniture seems to use a metal dowel and cam, but I wonder how practical this is for the DIY'er?
Any advice gratefully received.
d-i-Why?! wrote:

How about chipboard screws and the matching stepped drill? It's fast, the alignment is easy and it's probably as strong as any other method. It's what "Norm" uses ...
--
LSR

Do you want it to be de-mountable? If so, you can get quite a good selection of cam & dowel fixings from the likes of Screwfix. I see no reason why you can'y DIY these - but you need to be able to drill very accurately, so a pillar drill is probably required. If you don't feel confident with these, you could use K-D fittings like http://tinyurl.com/2fjzc6 but they would, of course, be visible on the inside.
If it doesn't need to be de-mountable, why not just use wooden dowels and glue. You can buy dowelling jigs fairly cheaply, and you'll need sash cramps to hold it all together while the glue sets.
--
Cheers,
Roger

I'd say biscuits are quicker and easier than dowels. Get a Ferm or similar biscuit cutter, don't muck around with a biscuit tool in a router. Chipboard screws don't "take" so well in MDF IMHO
How about ply instead of MDF? Shuttering ply for economy at the expense of finish, also a bit lighter and tougher.

I would consider this - a cupboard made entirely of 18mm MDF is going to be a tad on the heavy side.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)