Before I glue& panel pin this on

Does anyone think the center fancy piece looks out of place?

The3rd Earl Of Derby

This is a better pic.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

I think that it would ultimately depend on what is going inside it - i.e. what does the fireplace look like, or is it a dummy of some kind?

The only thing that immediately hit me (and this is just an instant reaction thing) is perhaps that component is a bit too large in terms of scale. Certainly I think that if you had used the same barley twist design as those on the vertical it would be too much.

Faced with this, I think I'd complete and install the surround, put what is going to be on it and live with it for a while. Then add the decoration and see what you think.

Are you going to leave it in a fairly light colour or stain it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

It makes the whole panel look like a drawer just waiting to be pulled out. It's the chunky ends that do it - if they tapered more it'd look less heavy.

Reply to
Guy King

Well I made it for myself but now I'm nearing its completion I'm at a loss wether to keep it or sell it to the bloke who's offering to buy.

If he buys,he said he's going to varnish it with *Satin Clear*.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

What would bother me is the fact that both spindles have the same twist direction, which makes the piece un-symmetrical (I bet you wish you hadn't asked now)!

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Reply to
Graham.

Well I've looked around for spindles and it seems they only do 3 or 4 traditional designs, none taper at the ends being stair spindles mind. I'll be damned paying a stupid price for the mouldings thats on sale at the sheds I mean the carvings are not at all good and they want something like

14GBP for a moulding thats even too small for the center.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Far from buying a spindle moulder, you will not get off the shelf same spindles going the opposite to whats on it now.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My comment was intended to convey my sense of the ecstatic, and had nothing to do with mere practicalities!

Graham.

Reply to
Graham.

I'm looking at it and thinking "spindles look better vertical" Very nice otherwise. How about a more rounded floral or scroll moulding motif in the center?

HLAH

I think it suits it well.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Erks me as well. Though In had read this comment before looking at the image. They really ought to be opposite hands and I think paired each side, erm difficult to explain but if L is lefthand twist R right hand:

I think

L R R L

would be better than

L L R R

Also assuming the the L one is as in the image ie the diagonal of the "thread" points upwards towards the center of the column.

The top does look a bit "heavy", it might be better if the base didn't start until the same distance up as the square on the ends of the spiral pieces. That might mean you need to do somthing on the face of the top blocks at each end though. Four bits of moulding mitred to make a fake panel would do similar at the base of each column. Is it now starting to get to "fussy" in appearance?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, it's better than the one my dad made, but I think i would go ahead and sell this one and build yourself a better one having used this for practice.

I think the spindles just don't work for the reasons that others have said.

Either try some spindles which aren't handed, or do something different

- get some wood and have a go a "carving" it with planes, chisels, saws etc. Might not get it quite so "perfect" as a manufactured piece, but then it might look better for it.

As to finish, I would want to see it either stained so it looked like it was all made from the same type of wood, or prefferably painted white.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Surely this is too much of a "personal preference" situation!

IMHO it wasn't until I read the other postings that I realised what was unbalanced about it - the twist direction of the vertical spindles. Being a draughtsman, anything unsymmetrical or out of line is difficult to cope with.

Personally, I would have used the horizontal half spindle design for the uprights as well as the adornment but I'm sure that would be far too "ordered" for most!

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

A mixed difference of opinion all round, however I've looked a the pic and tried to visualise the barley twist pieces in symetrical and to be honest it wouldn't look right.

But anyway thanks all for opinions.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You just keep telling yourself that ;)

Reply to
Richard Conway

If it were my fireplace I would put it to one side and sort that wallpaper (and wall behind it, out whilst I thought about the twists and other spindles! HTH

John

Reply to
John

If it were my fireplace I would put it to one side and sort that wallpaper (and wall behind it), out whilst I thought about the twists and other spindles! HTH

John

Reply to
John

Heard you the first time. ;-) silly sorting the wallpaper out seeing its the workshop room. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby