Beeswax ?

Very wasteful, that's why I use Ecover or Bio-D and just give a quick rinse in cold water. Not too worried about minor smears - after the state of things on backpacking trips...!

Reply to
PeterC

Where did you get that from, the Daily Wail?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Numerous high quality sources, not including the rag you mentioned.

When it hits that rag, perhaps people will begin to realise just how much of a problem it is.

Reply to
Bruce

But arse is OK.

So, never mind the facts, your pre concieved, ill informed opinions rule.

If you wish to waste your time and money using chemicals (yes,they are chemicals) that simply don't work then carry on.

If you really want to clean things properly without using chemicals that Womans Weekly have decided are 'bad', then buy some microfibre cloths.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Compared to what you say its rather mild. I dont think I have ever swore on DIY before

Yes they do, thanks

I will waste my time and money on what I want because guess what, they are mine to waste, thanks for the concern.

I use them regulally and have aprox 20 of them. They are superb

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Carnuba wax is even harder tha beeswax when the solvents have gone. Don't get taken in by all this 'feeding the wood' crap, what a wax does is to seal the pores so that the wood doesn't dry out. Despite being hard it still wears away.

The best commercial waxes that I know are Liberon's Black Bison range. I use a lot of this in my workshop. The one you'd want is the 'natural'. The smell of the solvent goes in four or five days, some love it, some hate it.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Have you actually tried any of these 'old wives tale' cleaning methods, Dave? I suspect not.

I'll give one which does work. Dip tarnished brass in vinegar before polishing with your favourite domestic brass cleaner. This dissolves the hard oxidation and makes polishing *far* less work.

Other thing is supermarket cleaners don't give the ingredients. You might well be using the common chemicals you seem to despise so much but hidden behind fancy branding.

FWIW I now buy pretty well all such things in Lidl under a non advertised brand. Which apart from being cheaper per bottle than the popular ones also comes in larger quantities. I avoid anything called 'Mr Muscle' or 'Cillit Bang' like the plague. If I had my way they'd be prosecuted for misleading advertising...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

effective as it

I called them about the 'new improved formula' after finding that it gave numerous failures. The chap I spoke to said they'd had to stop using Toluene - hence the new formulation. So yes, not technically a removal - but as good as.

Regards

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Scientific and medical journals, research papers, quality "broadsheet" newspapers.

Reply to
Bruce

No I haven't. I know enough about chemistry and enough about cleaning not to waste my time.

Interestingly, we now find out that the main proponent of these natural chemicals seems to use microfibre cloths. These will be doing the bulk of the cleaning and would work just as well without the natural, green chemicals.

Nope. It's easy enough to make an informed guess as to whats in them. Apart from which, there would be no point in trying to sell them - they don't work effectively and would cause complaints.

When I said 'go to Tesco' I didn't mean to suggest people bought high end brands. I buy supermarket own brand value/budget stuff.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They do indeed. I find sometimes I don't use anything at all only water and a cloth. But for stubborn areas I will use the greener methods if I can.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Baking soda, vinegar, salt etc are all chemicals. You yourself are 100% chemical.

I quite understand preferring to use basic chemicals to clean your house than expensively marketed and packaged concoctions with their unpleasant frangrances, but just about the only way you could clean stuff without "chemicals" - and relying on chemical reactions - would be if you scrubbed everything with sand.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes, I'm sure microfibre cloths are exactly what she uses to unblock drains and clean her frying pans.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

How odd that when it comes to carcinogenesis, you apparently don't "know enough about chemistry".

Reply to
Huge

It's called "selective dyslexia", where anything that conflicts with your strongly held preconceived ideas is impossible to read.

I think we all suffer from it to some extent. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

No, its cognitive dissonance. When your mind set precludes you from seeing fairies at the bottom of the garden, even when they are demonstrably there ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm sure there's a proper term for it, but "selective dyslexia" seems to explain it rather better.

Hmmmm ... ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Dingley saying something like:

Hoboy, that stuff stinks.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bruce saying something like:

Thank delawd for that; the world might stand some chance of recovery if the parasites die back a bit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon