Baxi/Main boiler opinions

Our boiler at work needs replacing and the guys i'll be likely to have doing it have suggested a Main which is apparently a repackaged Baxi.

I suppose anyone's mileage is subject to variation but if anyone has any opinion on a Baxi, something like a 600 combi i'd be interested.

Reply to
R D S

I have no issue with a heat only Baxi, but the main valve body housing all the hydraulics on a Baxi neta-tec Combi is plastic. It used to be all brass. I don't know anything about the 600.

Things regularly go wrong and my current problem is the DHW goes intermittently cold with the boiler running, implying possibly a diverter valve or blockage.

Within just a few years I replaced the gas valve. After checking the the modulating valve, it's movement wasn't smooth like the new one when applying a variable voltage.

I've had to replace the water flow sensor mechanicals, plus a couple of other things.

If you do get one, make sure you have an extended guarantee with it.

Reply to
Fredxx

On 08/02/2023 14:18, Fredxx wrote: > On 08/02/2023 12:31, R D S wrote: >> Our boiler at work needs replacing and the guys i'll be likely to have >> doing it have suggested a Main which is apparently a repackaged Baxi. >>

Apparently they are brass, at least the one we will be getting, WB have turned to plastic which is why we've ruled them out.

7 years I think...
Reply to
R D S

Oh dear. I'm looking at replacing our 2006ish Baxi 105HE Combi with a WB and 10yr guarantee. Surely they are not going to be unreliable?

Reply to
AnthonyL

My experience is that often a range is put on a pedestal through quality, then there is the race for profit and cost cutting.

Lets face it, why invest in a product that politicians are telling everyone will be dead in a few years.

Reply to
Fredxx

Have you recently done a heat loss calculation on your house to see if your chosen boiler is oversized for your central heating? Its not wise to do a like for like replacement if during the life of the previous boiler you have added wall or loft insulation and/or double glazing.

It's stated that the "AVERAGE" house heat loss is around is around 6 to

8kW when the outside temperature is around -2C. For most of the winter months the outside temperature is well above this and the heat loss probably closer to 4kW, or below. If the boiler cannot modulate down far enough to this lower figure then it probably isn't running efficiently for most of the heating season. The Baxi 600 minimum is around 6.1KW (6.7kW when in condensing mode)
Reply to
alan_m

Don't overlook used boilers.

Reply to