battery repairs....

I guess this must have been covered before but....

Is there any way of repairing the spot welded links on a Ni-Cad battery pack?

It looks like stainless so beyond my soldering ability. Screwfix drill with twin battery pack at £29.99 so not a major loss.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I reckon it's the same material as the battery casing so can be soldered. If soldering direct to a Ni-Cad use a hot iron and do it quickly. Tagged cells are available as replacements to get round this problem.

Everything scrapped before it's worn out is a major loss. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Tim Lamb contains these words:

Actually it's nickel. They're not hard to re-spot, though for a drill, which (compared to model aeroplanes, for example) is a low current device you might get away with soldering it together. You'll need to scrape the mating surfaces clean and use a large iron so it doesn't take so long that the whole cell gets hot and dies.

As for re-spotting it -

carry on googling for "battery pack" + "spot welder"

Reply to
Guy King

I dont know the details of the construction, but often one can simply insert some metal to conduct and wedge the cells together, no solder or weld needed.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I did read of someone making a mini spot welder for this using some parts from a microwave, personally I just solder them together or send the whole lot to re-cell for a proper rebuild.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

IMO. If you need to use a large iron, you're doing it wrong. Get the cell scrupulously clean - 600 grit new bit of sandpaper - followed by scotch-brite type pad - also new, while wearing clean gloves. Now, hold the cell vertically, with the cell face horizontal.

Clean the very hot iron tip, and holding it horizontally, build up a bead of flux-core solder, and then touch it upwards to the cell. The last two steps should take under a second. The solder blob should be touchable in under 5 seconds. Then you repeat the process - after the cell is cooled - with a bit of tinned wire in between the hot iron with the solder blob, and the cells tinned patch.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

In message , Tim Lamb writes

Nickel eh!

Thanks to all. I'll have a go a soldering mindful of the heat issues.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb