Battery fluorescent torch renovation

snip

Well, it is rather modern, why don't you keep it. I'll stick with my prewar stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sorry about that. I should have checked the link:-(

At work we test lamps with the apprentices cattle prods

As pointed out by others trying the lamp the other way around is all you can probably try.

Reply to
ARW

Well would you Adam & Eve it! It works. I cut the wire for the power supply and swapped them over to make it centre -ve and:

1) The torch beam works - well it did before 2) The flashing light works - presumably a diode so the polarity had to be right 3) The fluorescent tube lights up, quite a dark patch one end but it lights up so a new one will no doubt work.

It must be decades since I last saw it on and even if I chuck it now there is a sense of satisfaction.

But I've still got to try it with battery cells to call it 100% success so that means doing something with the corroded spring connection.

Reply to
AnthonyL

nice one

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Much as I appreciate the fun of rescuing old stuff, a battery powered fluorescent light the needs six D cells would not be high on my list of things to rescue. Have you checked out the price of the batteries and bulb? You could buy yourself a better LED light for the cost of that lot!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It's pretty hard to make battery springs as a DIY. A metal that makes a good spring, makes a poor battery contact, and has to be plated up with other metals to make a good finish. This also leaves the spring susceptible to corrosion from battery "fluids".

Random sample solution: £0.343 bag of ten contacts D sized, they say.

The problem with any of these, is how to affix electrical connections. You could use, say, a #2 screw and a solderless terminal to go under the backside of the spring. But what usually happens with solutions like this, is the screw ends up protruding out of the plastic housing, as there isn't usually room for a retrofit.

(sample of materials, not a ready-made solution for you, shows #2 screw)

Solder never sticks all that well, or the result is brittle and some wire snaps off later. (Like if you tried a kind of silver solder.)

You would need to see how much the spring compresses, to see whether a screw-head would fit in the end terminal area. That's why a #2 might be all that works.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Paperclips & springs off batteries & battery holders work ok. The finish is usually chrome and relies on enough pressure to get an electrical contact.

all are.

rivet

then you've got a chrome plated spring. Rivet instead, or screw if it fits.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I wouldn't consider feeding one with D cells. You can put rechargeable AAs into D adaptors or use a wallwart. Poundland AAs are cheap as chips and good enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What with spotlight, flashing red light, and fluorescent?

And I have any number of power bricks including the one that I've just cut the wires off. It would be great though if the torch would work off the car's power socket as I've got loads of 12v socket power supplies.

And the "D" cell AA converters would be handy and I could run rechargeable Eneloops.

This is uk.d-i-y isn't it?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Poundland AAs are cheap as chips.

About a quid?

Or am I way off the mark?

Reply to
ARW

Well it looks a little more like it used be to do after you posted a DIY related question:-)

I know the type of torch you are trying to revive. There was one in the boot of my car for many years.

Reply to
ARW

Go on, do tell, when did you last use a flashing red light? ;-) It probably contravenes some regulation or other to use it by the roadside (wrong colour).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There is no law that says you cannot switch on a red light flashing light and place it on a roadway.

Reply to
ARW

2 for £1, 600mAh, enough for torch use. IME with them they last well, though have had the occasional dud. Good choice where the capacity is enough.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe not but my car comes with a flashing light system built in. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yep, me too - from the days when the 12v power supply was a cigarette lighter.

Reply to
AnthonyL

But I'll be able to put mine (sacrificially perhaps) 100yards further up the road.

Reply to
AnthonyL

And then there are those of us who remember them as /cigar/ lighters.

Reply to
Robin

And you had to hold it out the window to cool down if there were 5 of you smoking in the car. Not enough power to light 5 up.

Reply to
ARW

I just and a sacrificial apprentice 100 yards up the road with a hi viz on.

It's up to him he chooses to flash or not ;-)

Reply to
ARW