Bathroom ceiling

We've had the ceiling skimmed, so now it's time to paint. I've got the bit about watered down emulsion to seal it - the question is matt or vinyl emulsion for the final coat. I'd prefer matt, but the ceiling will be splashed from the shower.

Whaddya think?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

Kitchen and Bathroom paint? Or is it a trick question? Comes in white as standard or you can get Dulux system stuff mixed up at most B&Q stores in any colour you like.

Even the bits that don't get splashed will be exposed to condensation.

hth

-- Steve F

Reply to
Fitz

In message , Fitz writes

A waste of money IMO. We used standard emulsion in our bathroom - including being used for showers most days with (vinyl walls, matt ceiling) and never had any problems.

I found matt fine for the ceiling

Reply to
chris French

Go into a Dulux Trade center and ask for "Kitchen and Bathroom" paint - they'll have a damn good giggle :) It's Vinyl Silk really...

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

Hah! I went to a Dulux Trade Centre, and discovered that the price of everything I looked at was much higher than the local decoraters merchant. Much higher!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

So you ask for a cash discount ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

I told them I was going to try Brewers - there was a sharp intake of breath - and a bit of comedy - they still couldn't get near the price, though!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It is..but it's got slightly more of the stuff in it that makes it silky.

Compare vinyl silk and K&B paint and it's slightly shinier.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Ask for a "cash account" and get ~ 20% discount.

Reply to
slate

Thanks guys. So far I've learned that Matt emulsion is OK/Not OK in the bathroom and Vinyl is almost equivalent to bathroom & Kitchen paint!

I'll kick off with Matt and see how I go.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

In message , Paul Andrews writes

I'll add a note - my bathroom was suitably ventilated - with a humidistat controlled fan, my kitchen was also ventialted properly For all I know poorly ventilated rooms may case a paint problem.

Reply to
chris French

Fair enough. We have a vent in the wall - not fan assisted though. Never really had a problem with mould or anything like that. I suppose I could err on the side of caution..

Reply to
Paul Andrews

The Dulux Trade equivalent is Quick Drying Eggshell, which is a water based acrylic formulation that is very significantly superior to a vinyl based emulsion.

Christian McArdle

Why? Are you incredibly tall, have very low ceilings or just incredibly messy in the shower?

;-)

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I'm 6'1", and the ceilings are low. Standing in the bath having a shower, it's perfectly possible for the splashes to hit the ceiling..

Reply to
Paul Andrews

This is a handy time to add a little copper compound into the paint to avoid anything green growing, and finely crushed aspirin to avoid anything black growing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222