bath waste removal problem

Can anyone help please ? I am trying to remove the bath waste fitting from an old enamel bath, and cannot shift it. I've disconnected the waste pipe OK, but the nut on the fitting thread won't move , not will the plug hole unscrew from inside the bath either. How is this done ?

Reply to
reggie66

Without a bit more info I am guessing, but, using a fine-bladed hacksaw, cautiously cut through the fitting between the nut and the bath. Assuming that you want to re-use the bath you will need to avoid damaging the bath too much but the seal on a new fitting should fill small grooves.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Brute force usually helps with a big pair of grips, it may be gummed up with something used to install it many years ago. Are you trying to remove it to reuse it? If so it would be quicker, and easier to go and buy a new one, they're not that expensive also the new one will (probably) be easier to install if yours gets mashed.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

You can get a large box spanner for these nuts, though it might not be practical to get the box spanner in there.

You might find that putting a large spanner on the nut and giving the spanner a few sharp taps with a hammer will break whatever is sealing the nut. This often works where brute force alone won't do the job.

Andrew

If you need help with those general DIY projects you can give me a call. More information about what I can help with can be found on my web site:

Andrew McKay

Apply heat to the brass back nut with blow lamp,always tighten the nut first then use the stilsons to undo.

Reply to
Alex

Hire a nut splitter from your local shop. The nut splitter will cut the nut in two halves so you can prize it off.

Or use a hacksaw to cut across the nut at an angle, cutting off one straight edge of hexagon at a time. This is more time consuming, but it works out a lot cheaper and doesn't mark/damage the bath.

Reply to
BigWallop