Bath too long!.

This sounds daft, if there are a lot of these out there it seems to me that somebody would make a bath of that size.

However con crete walls, what is this a prison? I have also heard stories where one cannot get the old bath out and the new one in without dismantling the banisters on the staircase. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Cut the bath in half and slot in one end at a time.

Reply to
Scott M

I can't say I noticed that baths seem to have particularly low overflows when I bought one a couple of years ago.

I did also get an adjustable overflow that means I can fill it a bit deeper if I want a nice deep soak (didn't tell the kids about that though), that and a 1800mm bath means my knees don't poke out either :-)

Reply to
Chris French

nah. You insert one end in the slot with the other end tilted up, and then lower the lot down. Cant be done with TWO slots. One has to be a wedge shaped shelf.

This is one of those instances where attacking the wall with a grinder and chisel and making a huge mess, inserting the bath then replacing the lot to make a decent tiled surface is quicker than agoinising over whether to do it or not.

Even including clearing up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I would be very wary of removing parts of a concrete wall unless I was absolutely convinced it was not going to cause any structural issues.

Reply to
polygonum

Sorry but this is one for an SDS:-)

Reply to
ARW

In article , Brian Gaff scribeth thus

No its a house made post war of large concrete panels bolted together and by Christ they are very hard!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Phil, well observed! it for some unknown reason, someone previously has taken any plaster of and just tiled onto the concrete wall!

Thats even if it was plastered in the first place!

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes correct!.

Its been decided or thought we're going to ask another plumbers merchant or two, of which there are a few of around here, if they have an actual

1680 mm long one rather then the 1700 version which is 1700 overall and other one has been measured very carefully an overall is actually 1677 mm

If not then off we'll go with angle grinder SDS and VAX machine and dust mask!

thanks for all the suggestions I --KNEW-- an angle grinder would get a look in somewhere!.

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , tony sayer writes

Cambridgeshire has always had a fair number of *housing association* developments. Perhaps it was low cost build.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The concrete houses from that era seem to have been vastly overspecified, you could remove 90% of the wall and nothing else would move. The concrete, as has been said, also seemed to be left over from building blast proof shelters.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I guess you *might* meet rebar at that depth. Personally I would make two cuts with a diamond disk in an angle grinder, then chisel out in between with an SDS. That's if I really couldn't find a bath to fit.

Reply to
newshound

Cold damp nuts are not to be recommended either ;-)

(last place had a corner bath with low overflow position - which meant you could not really get it deep enough. I used some plumbers two part epoxy putty to raise the draw off point of the overflow ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Pretty certain my apprentices would not notice that on a 2g socket!

Reply to
ARW

In article , Tim Lamb scribeth thus

As best I know it was built shortly after the war when bricklayers were in short supply;( It was deemed easier to cast large concrete panels and crane them into position and bolt them together. This is one of they....

Reply to
tony sayer