Bath flow

Hi My bath has a horizontal pipe running to the big stink pipe feeding the sewer.(I Think).

The flow had all but stopped. So I used a spring pipe unblocker. .

Now the flow is much more but>>.

How long should it take to empty a normal domestic bath. Mine is about

1.75 mins. Is that good?

Thanks for any help

Gary

Reply to
Gary

That's *very* good, if over 1/2 full.

Mine is about 3 minutes.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks for that . A watched pot etc. it seems a long time when waiting and the flow appears so gentle compared to the baths I remember as a kid. I can stop worrying then . Thanks again

Gary

Reply to
Gary

(This might all be incorrect) My bath was installed about 60 years ago and still has the original waste outlet. The outlet is the simple grid that is mostly space, but I've noticed that many 'modern' (FSVO) outlest are either perforated stainless steel or more complex designs that have much less open area. The perforated type could just be cheap but the 'prpoer' ones surely must be designed that way, so I've assumed that it's a way of preventing syphonage. If the flow is slow cf. the baths from decades ago an antisyphon device isn't necessary. My bath had one but I removed it after we had a frozen waste pipe due to the wind blowing through on a very cold night. The sags in the lead pipe and a slow drip...! If I were to re-pipe it again I'd use a HepVO trap but as I use a shower and never have a bath it's not a problem.

Reply to
PeterC

You will now have got a lot of people standing in the scud with stop watches measuring how long it takes for their bath to empty !! :>)

As the drain from my bath has a long run to the septic tank and a year or so ago I had to have most of the clay pipes replaced because of regular blocking, it would be quite useful to record a bench mark time, but then I''ll never remember where I wrote it down!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Yes and mine sounds like a drowning elephant as it empties.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Carve it into the bath next to the fill line you need to know how full it was. 8-)

Reply to
dennis

The clue might be the word 'horizontal' The pipe should be laid with a slope ....water runs much faster downhill.

Pour down some pipe unblocked liquid ... it probably has a good old mixture of crud stuck in pipe & trap.

Reply to
Rick Hughes