Ballast fluorescent causes circuit breaker to buzz

I have an old ballast fluorescent (3 foot tube), and when it's on (even with the tube removed), the circuit breaker in the fusebox (MCB) buzzes loudly. I've put my lighting onto the computer's UPS, and now that buzzes too. How can a ballast cause this?
--
Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when asking where the bathroom is?

Uncle Peter wrote:
Why do people point to their wrist when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when asking where the bathroom is?
Because when you have a bath the water covers your whole body.
Bill
Well, I cannot be sure, but do these devices effectively load one half cycle of the mains more than the other. I remember we used to have an old telly with a half wave rectifier in it, and if you plugged that in to one of those lawn mower protection things, it used to buzz as well. Brian

"The bathroom" is a snobby way of saying "the toilet".
--
Mrs. Culpepper was almost in tears. "Oh Marie," she said to her maid, "I have reason to suspect that my husband is having an affair with his secretary."
"I don't believe it for one minute." Marie snapped. "You're just saying that to make me jealous."

--
A man walks into a bar with a slab of asphalt under his arm and says, "A beer please, and one for the road."

Uncle Peter wrote:

Round here 'the bathroom' means 'the place where we keep the coal' and 'the toilet' is a snobby way of saying 'the shithouse'. I know this because my wife has a friend whose husband has an indoor job and she says 'toilet'.
Bill

Dust tha' work down mine? Is tha friend workin in mill? Careful, there's trooble at mill.
--
Circular Definition: see Definition, Circular.

Uncle Peter wrote:

Work down t'pit? Tha must be jokin lad. Pit's shut. Now we all guz down t call centre and works theer. It's much cleaner, but there no cameraderie. No esprit de corps. Tha knows what I mean?
Bill

I resigned from a call centre, they treat you like shit.
--
Rescuers in Pakistan today reported rescuing a man from the rubble.
They became aware when they heard a faint voice saying "we're still open".
On Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:50:31 AM UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:

failing insulation? There should be no current flow with no tube in.
NT

Unlikely, that doesn't usually produce a steady load to ground even if he's such a dinosaur that he doesn't have any RCDs at all.

Indeed. I bet it's just another silly little troll.
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 1:40:54 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Clearly... its old then modern, etc. His usual garbage.
NT

Does it not still act as an inductor across the mains? The fitting has only been used for one tube, so it's not old.
--
"I was walking down fifth avenue today and I found a wallet, and I was gonna keep it, rather than return it, but I thought: well, if I lost a hundred and fifty dollars, how would I feel? And I realized I would want to be taught a lesson."
-- Emo Philips

Nope, its in series with the tube, so as he says, there should be no current with no tube in the fitting.

What ? There were plenty of single tube fluoros in the past.

The inductor is in series with the tube, not across the mains. What will be across the mains in this case for a larger than 20 watt fluorescent fitting will be a PF correction capacitor. Maybe, just maybe, this is what's causing the buzz in the CB.
--
J B Good

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 5:16:14 PM UTC, Johny B Good wrote:

en with the tube removed), the circuit breaker in the fusebox (MCB) buzzes loudly. I've put my lighting onto the computer's UPS, and now that buzzes too. How can a ballast cause this?

only been used for one tube, so it's not old.

But how?
NT

And why would it do it but no other capacitor does? Ok, I've not got CBs on the other circuits, but plenty people do. Those capacitors are on hoovers, PCs, etc, etc.
--
Gary Glitter has said if he gets executed he wants cremating and his ashes putting in an etch-a-sketch, so the kids can still play with him!

And why would it do it but no other capacitor does? Ok, I've not got CBs on the other circuits, but plenty people do. Those capacitors are on hoovers, PCs, etc, etc.
--
Gary Glitter has said if he gets executed he wants cremating and his ashes putting in an etch-a-sketch, so the kids can still play with him!

Presumably because that one has failed and the others haven't.
If it does actually have a power factor correction cap at all.
VERY unlikely with a single tube fitting.

Those arent power factor correction caps.

This is the culprit in the light fitting:
http://petersphotos.com/temp/cap.jpg
It was connected across the mains supply. It was making the same buzzing noise itself. I removed it and the UPS stopped buzzing. I discharged it then tested it with a multimeter, and its capacitance is correct. 3.35 uF on the meter and 3.25 uF on the label. I'll shove it in the bin anyway.
--
If trains stop at train stations, what happens at workstations?