Balancing radiators - differential across radiator ?

*LAUGH* That's *exactly* how my wife treats thermostats.
Reply to
Huge

I looked at Genius but can't now remember why I went with Evohome - from a quick look at Genius they seem to have similar features. The evohome rad valves have integral thermostats, but wall stats are available.

Reply to
nothanks

:-)

Reply to
nothanks

Same: Genius was previously not able to make use of the rad valve temp sensing - but can now (with the usual pros and cons of it being next to the heat source and/or window drafts).

One thing Evohome seems to have that Genius doesn't is a stand alone command centre panel - that's cute. Genius really need something like that that you can nail to a wall - but they seem to have gone down the app/web route.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had a go at the Genius "Define my system" page and it has a drop down for TRV valves. I have some that are labelled E29 with what looks like a o above the E but I can't find them in google. Any ideas?

Reply to
AnthonyL

The Genius rad valves are Danfoss LivingConnects (LC2 IIRC)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quick follow up -

Got the rads really well balanced between dT=8-12C (except the tiny bypass rad which has only a few degrees across it.

One thing I found was that it seems like a good idea to jack the boiler up to 65-70C and balance conventionally at dT=12C

Reason - even with windows open, at a low flow temp, the rooms get so hot in the time it takes, that the boiler ends up cycling a lot which buggers up temperature measurements - and the radiators struggle to lose heat to the room.

So the motto is: balance hot, then turn the boiler down to what works.

2nd motto: a differential temperature meter with 2 pipe clamp thermocouples really speeds this up. My IR meter was very random and unrepeatable with the pipe - possibly a mixture of the pipe area and the emissivity of copper that varies *massively* with how polished/oxidised the surface is.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Masking tape targets on each pipe tail, sorts that - the IR thermometer can then get a sensible reading.

Reply to
John Rumm

I did try black insulation tape - but it still seemed a bit random. Maybe my IR meter is a bit crap?

Reply to
Tim Watts

What's the size of the "sampling circle" for your thermometer at whatever distance you were measuring from?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Did you get in close enough with it? The laser dot can lead you into a false sense of how small the reference patch is - its actually quite large.

(alternatively a reading off the painted corner of the ran dearest the inlet/outlet is normally good enough)

Reply to
John Rumm

On paper, sufficient for the target at the distance - but in practice, the readings were all over the place.

Reply to
Tim Watts

:) know what you mean.

When we had our boiler replaced they put in new controls. They put the thermostat over where the old one was, which meant in a stick-and-s**t house like ours there was a cold draft up its backside. WTH, I though, it's wireless. I'll move it.

Onto a bit of wall that turned out to have a rad pipe behind it, and could be 5 degrees hotter than the rest of the wall...

Seems to be OK in the 3rd position. Still training SWMBO.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris