backnuts for sink, basin, and bath wastes

Hello,

Following on from my bath waste thread, I really don't like plastic backnuts!

What size of backnut fits which waste?

Is it a simple matter of getting a 1 1/2 inch backnut for 40mm waste and 1 1/4 inch for 32mm waste?

Is a 1 1/2 inch backnut 1 1/2 inches across the nut's faces, or is it the diameter of the hole?

I measured the plastic nut on my bath waste and its about 50mm af, so I wonder whether for a 1 1/2 inch waste whether I actually need a 2 inch nut? So it's not as simple as matching the nut size tot eh pipe size.

BTW, where can I get a 50mm af spanner to fit?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

What's wrong with plastic backnuts for wastes .I've never had any problem with them . Plastic backnuts for taps are a bone of contention tho'. Why do you need a spanner for waste backnuts? Just use your hands ..they don't neeed to be that tight and anyway,you always get one( backnut) with the waste when you buy it so I don't get why you are asking this .

Reply to
fictitiousemail

Meant to say ..see my new reply to your Bath Waste topic

Reply to
fictitiousemail

I thought they were frowned on here, but perhaps that's just tap backnuts rather than all plastic backnuts?

I was using a pair of pump pliers but they chew into the plastic where you grip them. I thought they had to be tight. I was afraid of them leaking if they were too loose.

I have a slight leak from the bottom of the banjo but all other joints are ok.

Reply to
Stephen

That's tap backnuts

Nope .Just hand tight should do .

Use more LSX. That should do the trick

Reply to
fictitiousemail

You really don't need to tighten them up so hard that you need them made from brass.

The size is standard in that one of the 2 trap sizes always fit one of the

2 waste sizes. /If/ is it BSP then the size would be 1" and 1.25" having approx 32mm and 40mm diameters.

A good pair of water pump pliers set to their largest size should do a good job of tightening the back nut.

Note that some wastes will require some sort of thread sealant (tape, cord or resin) on the threads in the 'target' section to make a seal.

Reply to
Ed Sirett