backing box for wall light

What is the correct type backing box to put on a wall for wall lights.

The type of light I will want to fit would be probably one of the Ring make lights (as sold in Homebase, B&Q etc) which are typically mounted

12 to 24 inches below the ceiling.

I lokked into one box & the instructions showed a backing box in the wall without stating what type of box it should be.

The mounts on these lights appear to have holes 2in apart or so, so bringing the cable out through a standard square backing box gives mounting problems for the light fitting.

TIA for all help

Reply to
the yorkshire dalesman

On 2 Mar 2004 14:55:30 -0800, in uk.d-i-y yorks_dales snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (the yorkshire dalesman) strung together this:

No box is the norm. You can, if you like, use an architrave box.

..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

BESA box is more likely to have correct fixing screw spacing, although not all wall mount fittings use same orientation.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They're normally made to fit a BESA or conduit box. You could use either a cast iron one if the fittings are heavy, or a plastic one if not. Some of the sheds stock the plastic type (they're round) but I think you'll need a wholesaler for the metal ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On 2 Mar 2004 23:44:55 GMT, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) strung together this:

Or that, depends what the centres are on the fixings. Quite a few have adjustable slots on a seperate fixing bracket. Best bet would be for the OP to check centres on the fixing holes and find a box that fits, if he really wants to that is. ..

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.

Reply to
Lurch

I don't usually use a box of any sort - but simply remove a small square of plaster to make a cavity for the chocolate-block connector, and fix the light fitting to the wall with woodscrews and rawlplugs.

I assume that when others refer to "no box" they have done something similar.

Cheers, Set Square

Reply to
Set Square

The worst situation is then the fixing holes are top and bottom - and the cable drops vertically!

Reply to
John

IMO, one of the worst makes for electrical products. I have had nothing but problems with Ring equipment. If you want cheap, go to an electrical wholesaler and buy their own name brand. However, I tend to find that electrical accessories are one area where paying more up front is a saving in the long term.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I have in the past used an architrave back boxes sunk into the wall to accommodate the cables and strip connector. There are not many wall lights that will not cross the back box (about 1 inch) and for loop in type wiring it gives plenty of space for the connections. The lights themselves are screwed to the wall not the box.

-- Adam

adamwadsworth@(REMOVETHIS)blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth