Back Hearth is just a hole

I am going to replace my living flame gas fire with a real one.

First step was to disconnect the current fire and remove it. A plumber came and did this.

However, the back hearth (where the firebasket sits) is not solid concrete as I had expected, it is a bit of metal (unsecured) and when I lift it up there is a large hole leading to ground beneath the floor. I am assuming this is for ventilation as the house used to have a real fire.

Anyway, I was intending installing a solid fuel stove, but these things weigh in excess of 60Kg and the flimsy bit of metal will not hold it.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do about this ?

Does the back hearth need to be concrete ?

Maybe I should just replace the metal cover with a more substantial one ?

All ideas welcomed.

Jim

Reply to
BeerBoy

Concrete sounds good. You will need to check (and comply with) current Building Regulations for noncombustible floor areas and flue for a solid fuel appliance.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Sounds like it was for a Baxi fire. They were only of use in a new build house as there are pipes radiating out from the fire base to at least two house walls. The idea was that wind from any direction would force a draught into the fire base.

As you do not need it, fill it with concrete to provide a firm base for your fire.

Reply to
EricP

I think you are right.

Thanks for this Eric