B&Q v cheap sds at the moment

I'm not sure if this offer is widely available or not, but I thought that a few of you may be interested to know that my local B&Q (who are in the process of relocating/ upgrading to a warehouse) had their PP SDS drill, the one at £30 going for £15 at the moment.

Even though I'm very happy with my current SDS I'm now having thoughts about heading around there tonight and stocking up on one, I'll just need to hide it in the garage for a while, or maybe sell it on e-bay for £20?, but the postage on this thing would probably double the cost.

usual disclaimers, blah, blah,... and I've absolutely no connections with BnQ, other than giving them more money than they deserve, just 'cause they are 200yards round the corner.

cheers

David

PS For those interested the store that I saw this in was at the Strathkelvin retail park, (north of Glasgow) which may rule out a quick trip for a few of you.

Reply to
David

In article , David writes

Thanks, did you notice how many they had?, it's a little far for me unless it's a cert . . .

Also, have you got a model no., I could give them a call to hold me one.

diy.com is useless again of course . . .

Reply to
fred

Unless your B&Q is different to mine, I would trust them to hold one for me or to tell you the correct facts about how many are in stock.

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

Doesn't that strike you as just a teeny bit suspicious? Could there possibly be a reason why they are selling them so cheap?

Reply to
Grunff

More than likely! Having bought one or two items from their PP range, and having had to take them back because they were DOA, I've come to the conclusion that PP stands for Pretty Pathetic!

Reply to
Set Square

There were about half a dozen on the shelf yesterday morning.

I may nip around on the way home and check if they are still available.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

As I mentioned above may well just be a local offer, they have had a lot of the stuff reduced at the moment. I reckon that this is because the move to their new warehouse store, a 100yards down the road, is imminent. I think others here have mentioned that they come with a 3year gaurentee whihc makes them look fairly interesting.

A fair number of the PP tools have been half price over the last month or so, and while generally I have never looked all that closely at them this one caught my eye on the way past. What I could really do with though is a decent circluar saw.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

In article , David writes

Decided to chance it, drone said she couldn't find any, but there was a rack of about 10 within sight of the checkouts. All boxes looking pretty grubby & some with split cases/catches but I decided to take it as a disposable item.

In case anyone else is interested, it is a 620W sds plus 4.6kg with rotary stop & hammer on/off. Comes with 8, 10 & 12mm drill bits & a 22mm chisel bit.

Confirmed as ONLY Bishopbriggs store, on clearance as they are closing down in prep for a new warehouse store.

Thanks again Dave

ps: You might want to add _nospam_ or similar to your email address to save it being harvested by spambots.

Reply to
fred

Are PP any better or worse than other cheap drills?

I have a PP impact drill which has been giving me some excellent, and uncomplaining, work recently. Perhaps they're one of those makes whereby you either get a good one or bad one - good ones being quite good and the bad ones being terrible(?).

Reply to
Simon Pleasants

Wow - what a typo - I meant to write ... "... I wouldn't trust them..."

Peter.

Reply to
Snowman

In article , Snowman writes

Don't worry, I think we got your drift ;-)

Like I said, "sorry, none left" . . . . "but what about that full rack over there" . . . "oh, yes" . . . .

Reply to
fred

Glad someone could take advantage of them / it

This e-mail address is effectively dead and buried, but I've never bothered changing it. I thought I'd leave it open as a wee experiment, It gets about

150-200 spam messages a day when I last checked.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

Definitely. But I have to cut a trench in the concrete floor of my garage and destroying one of these disposable items doing it rather than wearing out my DeWalt seems a good move.

Reply to
G&M

Not really. It will cost you more than you are saving in cash and time to return the thing when it breaks. There are no spare parts, so you should treat the item as a write off after the warranty.

If you want a decent but inexpensive circular saw, then a good option is Skil. Their products are trade workhorses, not fancy but very solid and have been around for donkey's years.

The PP stuff is generally absolute junk sold on a volume basis with the store doing the sums on a return rate. The prices are dropped when they have ended their run with one supplier and are going to move to another.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I've used a Skil circ saw and was quite impressed with it given the price. As you say, no frills, just solid and powerful.

Reply to
Grunff

At a five minute walk its not a great hassle getting back to the shop, I often nip around that way when taking our youngest out to try and get her asleep in the pram.

The main reason I won't be getting one personally is that It will probably never come out of the box as I'm happy with the SDS that I have and even for breaking jobs I don't fancy having the extra couple of kg of the PP model to haul around.

I have a Skil drill, thats now 11 years old, but it only gets used for mixing small batches of plaster or cement. It always felt a bit under powered, but then again I'm sure that it would have been abudget model when I bought it.

I'll have a look at the circular saws next time I pass by though

cheers

David

Reply to
David

I just used my 17 quid 'Challenge' SDS drill to cut a 50mm (core) drill hole through an 18" external office building wall. It was heavy and did get hot after a while (so I gave both of us a rest) but it did it and was probably cheaper than the core drill bit!

I'd love the Hilti (sp?) the 'Sparks' was using but I noticed the front handle had broken where the plastic part goes round the 'nose' of the drill. My Challenge has a steel part .. ;-)

All the best

T i m

Reply to
T i m