Attaching hosepipe guide to a building corner - but temporarily

I've come across these hosepipe guides, which look like just what I need in the garden as I regularly have to negotiate the hosepipe around two

90-deg corners (which are tyrolean-finished which generates more friction and makes them all the more potentially damaging to a hose)

(ebay item 230339462992)

However, the problem is that these things are intended to be screwed permanently to the brickwork, and where I'd need to site them, they'd be in the way and it's an absolute dead-certainty that they would be rapidly snapped off by a passing mower/child/whatever.

What's needed, therefore, is some form of quick-release, demountable version of this. Considering that my Hozelock wall-mounted hose reel is exactly that - it has a 'lift-out', wedge-shaped, interference-fitting bracket - I'm surprised they don't follow suit with these guides. Anyway, I've been trying to work out a simple way of adapting one of the existing ones myself, but coming up blank. Anyone got any bright ideas?

It would need to be something that's easily demountable by hand, would not leave a markedly protruding fitting on the wall when demounted, and would not involve me in lots of metalwork (other than a drill, hacksaw and file I just don't have the kit!)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Derek Turner

How about two pieces of steel angle of length equal to the height of the fitting. Screw one to the wall and the other to the guide. Use some (say

4) Rare earth magnets to hold the two steel angles together. These magnets are very strong indeed so much so that you will have to slide the two pieces to get them apart. There is bound to be an ebay vendor selling magnets.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

hings are intended to be screwed

An alternative would be to keep the hose away from the tyrolean surface at the corner.

Maybe by using one of those weighted parasol bases with a broomhandle upright at each corner. Move it out of the way when not required.

Reply to
OG

Hinge one of the "wings" to the wall, relying on the pull on the pipe to keep the other against the other side of the corner. In fact, it probably doesn't matter if it flaps around a bit.

Or, mount two vertically-pointing metal fingers to the wall and drop it in.

Or, if there's a bit of garden at the corner, mount it on a stake.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

Employ a passing urchin for a couple of hours.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mount the guides onto some fairly thick ply and use lift off hinges - one half on the back of the ply, the other on the wall.

These are stainless & expensive, but I'm sure you could find cheaper MS ones

The Medway Handyman

A little bit of preparation on the Tyrolean to accommodate two of these:

Cicero

Many thanks for all the inventive replies - lots of good ideas but I think the magnet one is my favourite! I also really liked the one using just large plates of plywood and no fixing per se: very clever: I'm sure it would work well and the only thing putting me off a bit is the bulk of the resulting contraptions (I actually want two of these),

Oh yes indeed: not having any experience of these things, and how powerful they are relative to size...

... can anyone recommend one of these ebay listings as appropriate for my application? Would, say 4 of the 2-3mm diameter ones actually work, or would that be asking a bit much of them?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

I think you will need something a little bigger than that!! Some typical data here

Bob Minchin

Maybe something like this?

Bob Minchin