Asbestos panels on doors

A wide variety of opinions here!

As it's not my flat and as my friend is not a DIY-er and I won't do it, the doors will be disposed of and new ones fitted. New ones will look better a nyway with panels on both sides. The current ones looks like a cheap 1970s guest house with their flush panel and door closers!

Just for the record, I've had it analysed, it is asbestos and I don't think it's asbestos cement - I think it's "Asbestolux"

Reply to
Murmansk

Do not confuse what things were used for with what they are good at.

Also the purpose of a "fire door" (really a smoke stop door) is to buy you time. Usually about 15 mins is adequate so most such doors are 30min rated. Almost any decent solid wood door will meet or be very close to the 30min rating without any cladding, the real risk is egg box doors. A solid door clad in asbestos cement will almost certainly meet the 30 min time. Fitting an intumescent seal is more important than changing one cladding for another.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Ok, relatively recently. :-)

He was unfortunate, unless there were other factors increasing the probability. The fact remains that very few folk would suffer any symptoms under those conditions.

I am in my mid 70s and started playing with cars in my mid 20s and asbestos board from my late 20s. As I said above, I smoked heavily from age 16 until about four years ago. When is this "shortened lifespan" likely to show?

Reply to
Old Codger

Steam from water trapped in voids, should be OK indoors:-) I have used an asbestos cement offcut as plumbing protection when the glass fibre mat went astray.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

We would seek out the dimpled fragments just to throw them on the bonfire!

Reply to
news

We did lots of this work in my first job as a council surveyor (1974-

1976). The doors in question were four-panel timber doors in old Victorian piles that had been turned into old people's homes (pretty grim then, spending your last months/years in a dorm of four or five). Unprotected the panels would probably last 5-10 minutes before splitting and letting fire and smoke through.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

I have done the same Tim, probably still have half a dozen pieces of asbestos sheet cut to fit around pipes or other obstacles. No problems as long as they are completely dry.

Reply to
Old Codger

Later today :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

I did exactly that^

My home was a care home before we bought it and I was faced with the same problem.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

You're not a representative sample though, but one individual.

If you could get a few hundred such Old Codgers, with identical exposure to smoking and asbestos, then you could plot their life spans and it would probably form the usual bell curve.

Some would check out earlier than most, from unconnected natural causes, RTAs, homicides, accidents, etc..

There would probably be a higher proportion (compared to non-smokers and non-asbestos exposed population) of associated deaths from asbestos or smoking related diseases and the average Old Codger life expectancy would reduce accordingly.

You've got away with it, thus far. Well done you. There were probably others who did similar stuff and didn't make it past their 30s,40s, 50s or 60s. They can't tell us about their experiences, but you still can. The fact that you've survived beyond the average life expectancy doesn't make it sensible to bugger about with asbestos or smoke, if you can avoid doing so.

Reply to
Onetap

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:43:01 PM UTC, Old Codger wrote: Old Chap; When is this "shortened lifespan" likely to show?

Doctor; Ten.

Old Person; Ten years! Well, I can accept that, I've had a better innings than most.

Doctor; Nine......

With apologies to Dr. House.

Reply to
Onetap

I don't have any fire doors in my house - why are they being fitted here?>

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

usually becasue of an internal garage.

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Murmansk

Wrong :-)

Maybe tomorrow.

Reply to
Old Codger

More likely a third storey, possibly s loft conversion. An internal garage only needs one fire door. -- Re-reads above -- it's a flat!

Reply to
<me9

Our mountain hut was broken into many times and set alight a few times. The doors are solid T&G, and I put sheet galvanised steel over the outside of the doors and plywood on the inside and put coach bolts through to hold it all together. I imagine that would be a good "fire door". There have since been no attempted breakins.

Reply to
MattyF