armoured cable SWA

I once had case where expanded foam melted through a over sleeve on a WC connector. Don't know what type of plastic it was though.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or more likely, they're specifically made for that. Foamed polystyrene is banned in some jurisdictions.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks Jim that makes sense now - where did you get min bending radius figures BTW?

Reply to
Richard

Excellent - thanks for the advice!

Reply to
Richard

Well with luck, he'll get a BIG box of electrical stuff as well as those ...

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Use a long, thin SDS drill and drill at a downward angle. I used about 30 degrees last time. By means of measurement and calculation, you can determine the exit point on the outside of the wall.

When the drill is through, use a larger, shorter drill and drill following the same angle from both sides. This avoids breakout of the brick.

Using an angle like this means that you don't need to worry so much about minimum bending radius and the cable will enter more neatly.

Threading SWA through a cavity can be challenging. For this, I used a piece of cane or similar, putting it through the hole. A length of garden hose can be threaded over it and through. The remove the cane and insert SWA. It will follow the hose to the exit point. Then you can pull the hose away and voila.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What was her name?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I would have asked, but I had a mouth full ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

A bit tricky if your entry point is at (or below) ground level on the outside :-)

An exercise which is a trifle more tricky when one is dealing with stone walls 2'6" thick :-)

Surely a case for the modern electrician's fibreglass rods which are totally and absolutely fantastic.

Reply to
Appin