Are gas fitters allergic to gas tightness testing?

That's what I would have thought...

What bemuses me is that you never seem to get a certificate from gas fitters for anything except a gas safety check and yet the consequences of a gas leak can be extremely serious, especially in crowded housing estates or flats (cf Ronan Point).

I really think GasSafe need a kick up the behind.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On 04 Aug 2014, Andy Cap grunted:

Since when?

Reply to
Lobster

I would guess if the manufacturer's instructions specifically allowed (or required) it for that particular model?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I can't find the post now, I think it was John Rumm or Andrew Gabriel, who posted that yes, if the manufacturer OK'd it, then the regs allowed it.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I think you need to report the fitters. I got a certificate the last time they connected my boiler.

I even got one when the wife went and ordered a cooker without me and paid to have it fitted.

Reply to
dennis

Or that Checkatrade is shit.

Had to find a(nother) roofer after the one from "RatedPeople" was shit. Tried Checkatrade and was told by another roofer (who turned out to be shot) how Checkatrade was much better than RatedPeople yah di dah.

The only way, is word of mouth :(

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Probably me...

In fact its more a case of if the manufacturer does not forbid it, then the regs allow it.

There is confusion in this area since the relevant BS 6172 doc has been through an evolution of wording with subsequent releases - in effect correcting what was probably an error in earlier ones.

Since the 2004 version the wording has been:

""11.1.3 A gas hob shall be connected to the termination point by means of rigid pipework or, unless stated otherwise in the manufacturer?s instructions, a flexible connector and self-sealing plug device conforming to BS 669-1"

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks. :-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

I've had 2 good people off Checkatrade. In fact they were outstanding.

1) Repointing - an absolute gem of a bloke. Worked for 20 years in Germany and it shows.

2) An electrician (really [1]). Super guy - a real can-do problem solver.

[1] Relative's flat - needed a clean paper trail for a small amount of work (new hob, more smoke alarms, interlinked, CU upgrade with extra RCBOs) - easier to sub it out than try to work with a foreign LABC on Part P stuff.

I have also had an absolutely useless builder a long time ago by word of mouth.

Reply to
Tim Watts