Anyone used Polycell crack-free ceiling paint?

http://www.polycell.co.uk/products/polycell_crack-free_ceilings.jsp
Just curious.
The temperature cycling here is showing very minor issues in two ceilings.
One has been painted and the hairline crack is short and very minor, so frankly it can stay like that until the next decorating cycle.
But the kitchen ceiling only has a mist coat on - so not committed to paint type yet.
These really are only hairline cracks and I expect them in an old building. But any paint that will minimise them would be good.
Ta
Tim
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

I haven't tried the paint but I have used their hairline crack filler that you paint on and it is very good.
Jonathan
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 09:52

Ah - hadn't noticed that product - I shall look into it - then I can stay with my favourite Dulux paint :)
Many thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Haven't tried the paint, but recently recently had to do a repair job on a woodchip papered ceiling which I'd papered and painted 25+ years ago and which had developed a network of hairline cracks. I filled in the cracks using the blue hand-squeeze tubes of flexible pollyfilla, dragging it along the cracks, smoothing into cracks with fingertip and then wiping off excess. After painting, it looks excellent. Paint might do the same job, but filling the cracks separately leaves you with option of any paint/colour.
Toom
Toom
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 02:18:21 -0800 (PST), Toom Tabard

Ceilings will all move eventually I presume and cracks might continue to open? Would the flexible decorators caulk be a better option to allow for movement for quite a while?
Mike P
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:35

What I'm observing is the hairline isn;t getting any wider, just longer as the stress concentrated at the end works its way along. On the assumption that the PB is stagger jointed, hopefully the longest crack will stop somewhere. Can't tell from above - all my celings have 2 layers of 9-ish mm PB.

They are very fine (literally hairline - you can only see the minor one by lamplight, not in the day.
Something more liquid came to my mind that would work its way in. How gooey is caulk? I've never used it.
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Gooey .. no drip ... it will push in anywhere ... smooth off with finger or scraper immediatly, before it starts to "dry" and pull. It will remain flexible.
Mike P
Tim W wrote:

You have to be careful that your filling doesn't make things worse by drawing attention to the change of texture and highlighting the filled area. Been there etc. On a hairline crack anything other than more Dulux is likely to do just that. I think I might lightly wipe the paint across the crack with a washing up type sponge. Then again, I might just do bugger all :-)
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 12:47

Ah yes. I'm not that bothered. SWMBO is - she thinks the ceiling's falling off. But I've told her this is pretty normal. But if there's something I can do to help, I'll do it if it's easy :)
--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...
wibbled on Monday 21 December 2009 10:18

That's also an idea. Ta. I did wonder whether to just let the paint fill the crack. But as another room has managed to pop a minor hairline through 2 coats of dulux, it may not be elastic enough.
It's clearly happening along the plasterboard sections. It isn't getting worse due to me bounding around on the ceiling rafters so I suspect it's due to contraction in the cold. I have no reason to suspect the plasterboard wasn't scrim taped before plastering, but as it was already skimmed it's hard to tell. If it weren't, there'd probably be cracks along many more joints.