Anyone try spray painting instead of roller and brush

I am considering spray painting some rooms instead of using a roller and brush. It seems to be so much easier than spending ages with a roller and brush.

Why is spray painting not popular? are there any disadvantages that I've overlooked?

I know there is the original cost of buying the equipment which makes it more expensive initially. After that it should be much easier to paint the room?

Thanks

Reply to
Farouq

Gets every where, paint dust cloud overwelms the room if not sufficianlty ventilated,too much hassle cleaning the equipment after use, ect.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Once I knew a Sikh fellow who wanted a lot of decorating done. He wanted the "front room" , which had been knocked through into another room, done all white. The windows were masked off, and the lot sprayed "pure brilliant white". The lot - walls, ceiling, floor (he was going to carpet it over - white!). The whole lot simply shone, it was like going into a dream, but a nasty one.

Masking, paint issues, cleaning up costs, maintenance....

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It's pretty common in the US on knew builds and big renovations. I toyed with the idea on my last project but getting the whole house ready in one hit did'nt work out practical.

I've got the kit to do it and still stuck to rollers and brushes, even doing

4 rooms at a time.
Reply to
TonyK

My father runs a business that does spray painting of large retail shops (e.g. Argos). When I bought my house he sent his team in and in a day they had sprayed every wall magnolia and every ceiling gloss white. No mess around the house, no dust settling, we were able to go in later that day - slight odour but gone by the next day.

Obviously the colour-scheme isn't for everyone (nor for us) but it enabled us to at least have a clean/fresh slate before going round each room decorating over time (we had a 3 month old son when we bought the house so taking a few weeks to decorate every room ourselves wasn't practical).

I've had the same thoughts myself in the past, why bother painting when you can spray. Never got round to learning how or why not yet though...

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

They sprayed your ceilings gloss white? heaven forbid you don't have a fire.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Yep, sorry about that - meant "brilliant white", had a dopey moment - it's not gloss at all! :-)

Cheers,

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

There is a type of Dulux trade paint that can be sprayed - or rollered - that any overspray dries before it hits the floor can't remember what it's called though. Don't know if this is of help?

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

I did spray painting ages ago. Great finish, but it really does get over everything, so not much use for occupied houses.

Thick bulking gap-filling paint is sprayed on industrial buildings when the walls are a state, but its pricey, and the finish is in no way suitable for domestic use.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My old man used a trade paint, but it's made by a chemical company in Ireland (IIRC) and not a "brand" like Dulux.

This paint does that (hence how they can paint shops overnight and have the shop open again the next morning) - minimal cleanup.

Cheers,

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

What like on an average size family room, by the time you have fluffed about masking the door, windows, fireplace, skirting, light switches, you could have finished it with a roller or pad. Or perhaps you went to the "if it don't move paint it all one colour school"

-
Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Farouq" saying something like:

HighVolumeLowPressure is the way to go if you're intent on doing it. Fwiw, I've painted indoors with the HVLP system and it works well. You don't get much overspray and the paint is quite controllable.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon