Anyone remember Matty from NZ?

Off to NZ soon and have no fixed itinerary but I was reminded today about museums there. IIRC Marty worked at a museum there. Anyone know where? He always amazed me with his projects and his talents with an angle grinder. There didn?t seem to be anything he wouldn?t tackle. Be good to look him ( or his museum) up whilst we?re there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, I remember him. He posted as MattyF or Matty F. His most recent post seems to have been in July 2014. He may just have stopped posting - or it may have been enforced by events!

ISTR that he was into heavy engineering, including making forgings for parts of trams. If he *was* at a museum, it would probably have been a tram museum. There are quite a lot to choose from. Most of the major cities had trams at some time or other - some still do, I think - and quite a few have tram museums. I don't quite know where I'd start!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fairy sure it was tram-related, MOTAT in Auckland? Do I remember correctly that he was unwell at some point?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That seems to be it

Andy Burns

Cheers. I thought it might be Wellington. I?ll drop MOTAT a line and see if he?s still working there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks. Good find.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Nope.

Chang

Those links don?t work.

Reply to
Chang

Sorry doesn?t work in Chrome but does in PaleMoon.

Reply to
Chang

Works in chrome and firefox for me, doesn't appear to require a login to GG, but some searches do require a login.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Like other places, they got rid of them but some towns are now rethinking the loss again. Its funny how things run in circles. However the future seems to be autonomous vehicles that follow set routes with no rails, so maybe that will be the successor. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Tim+ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Tim, do keep us advised. I too remember Matty's posts, and the trams for which he fabricated parts. Fascinating stuff.

Reply to
Graeme

I?ve had a reply from MOTAT already but they didn?t recognise the name as an employee. I?ve written back pointing out that I he was a volunteer rather than an employee in the hope that they might keep different records for them. Of course ?Matty? might not be his real name so that might make things harder.

I would have thought though that someone would remember the guy who fabricated a whole tram speed controller from scratch (one of his many projects that stick in my mind).

I?ve had a search through Usenet archives but all his photo links have expired which is a shame.

Even if I can?t track him down I?ll definitely be visiting the museum.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You mentioned Wellington and there is a tram museum there ,looking at their website they do seem to do a lot of hands on restoration of the type he was known for .

Link.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Museums may be a bit of a disappointment.

I remember visiting one in Russell, Bay of Islands, and realising the exhibits were very similar to the stuff from my parents we still had in the loft. Beautiful spot, though.

Recent (last 100 years or so) could be more promising.

That is well worth a visit if you are in South Island. Lots of interesting kit and fettling tools.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Bloody big loft if it had a tram in it .

GH

Reply to
Marland

replying to Tim+, MattyF wrote: Hi all. Tinypic have deleted all their pictures, and I can't get into Google Groups now. I'll see you in a couple of hours!

Reply to
MattyF

replying to Tim+, MattyF wrote: I am having a lot of trouble with the software on this site. It thinks I am clicking Reply twice when I am not. I may see you in a couple of hours.

Reply to
MattyF

replying to Tim+, MattyF wrote: There's no sign of Tim at MOTAT so I am going home.

Reply to
MattyF

Hi Matty,

Britz were having a major meltdown this morning when we went to collect the van so we're not going to make it today (4th Nov). We will be in tomorrow though but no idea if this suit you.

Can you drop me a line on snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+