Anyone happy with their laminate floor?

Had some laminate flooring fitted last week, and it was a nightmare.

The fitter hadn't a clue what he was doing and the result is disappointing.

The company has sorted out the major problems, but i'm still left with a floor which deflects quite a lot when my 13 stone bulk presses on it, and squeeks in a couple of places.

Is this just the way that laminate is, or is it possible to get it better than that with proper sub floor prep?

Reply to
zikkimalambo

I've laid laminate floor in 2 rooms, once in our old house and once in our current house. We've been happy with the results on both occasions. No squeeks, and no deflection. Preparing the subfloor is very important.

Reply to
Grunff

I've done at least two rooms and been very happy with the results. One was on a concrete floor and another on floorboards, decent insulation for both and it was fine.

Reply to
mike. buckley

I've done 6 or 7 (depending how you count them, one continued through the door into the next room) laminate floors both glue type and click together on solid floor and over floorboards. It was never less than perfect, given that it was laminate, and did not suffer the problems of yours.

The existing floor needs to be within tolerance for flatness and you need expansion gaps around the edge. Use the correct underlay and fit a vapour barrier if neccessary. Sadly, I've seen another "professional" job that very soon warped up in the middle of the room and looked horrendous.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Done the bathroom and hall in Aqualoc water repellent stuff. Looks great and no problems at all. It locks together without gluing

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Prep is everything .... I have laid 5 laminate floors upstairs and 4 wood floors downstairs, all with Underfloor heating ... and none of these squeak or creak. If they ehave used correct underlay ... I use a 2mm closed cell PU on

1st floor, and a Combifloor - 3mm closed cell & polyuretane barrier on ground floor.

As well as being necessary for a proper job, they absorb a lot of sound impact noise, there is deflection, but that is minor, and certainly no creaks.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk was thinking very hard :

I have laid two, neither of which squeaks or deflects much as you walk on it. There is bound to be a tiny amount of deflection as the underlay compresses, but more than that probably means it has been laid without an expansion gap around the sides. This might also account for the squeaks.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The one at the charity shop where I do a shift is the most bouncy floor I've ever stood on - its horrid and needs ripping up and sorting out.

Reply to
mogga