Anyone got one of the LIDL outdoor LED lamps?

Saw these in my local LIDL today. They were about =A330 and if I remember rightly they were 15W total. Otherwise they look just like the halogen garden/security lights that you find everywhere for about =A36. What I wanted to know was just how much light these put out. I doubt it'll match the 500w halogens but what is it similar to? Anyone got one?

Other than that, can anyone suggest another alternative to the power hungry halogens for outdoor lighting?

Reply to
clangers_snout

I dont have the data on them, but LED lighting typically ballparks around twice the efficacy of filament lighting, so expect similar to

30w filament lamp as a first approximation.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The 150W linear halogens are far, far nicer than the 500W jobs in a domestic setting if you must have a floodlight, but I've got a variety of ordinary 'carriage' lamps with 60-100W bulbs in that do a fine job of illuminating the outside at night.

I actually think the halogens are waaay too bright and simply shut the iris up more than necessary preventing the eye's natural sensitivity to low light levels.

Reply to
Scott M

The LEDs in security lights seem to reach only a few metres, but that's enough for my purposes. I'm about to make an imitation outdoor gaslight. It will need to run on 12V DC and I was thinking of using LEDs. I'd like it to switch off in daylight.

Reply to
Matty F

Even a candle flame can do that for me, at night. I have very good night vision and cars that drive round in bright sunlight with their head lights on blind me.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Same here, but they do have to contribute towards pollution and terrorism and it saves them having to look where they're going.

I like a gentle, warm-white outside light - much easier to see things. The bulkhead fitting by my front door is just over half lined with ally foil so that it doen't dazzle any one.

Reply to
PeterC

Oh! I thought they were making the statement of...

'Look how important I think I am.'

Point noted for when I replace the tube in the light we have in the back garden.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That as well: socio-economic group AB - Arrogant Bastards

Yes, illumination is better than dazzle. Those damned 'lanterns' that glare in all directions...! There's a house about a mile from here with 4 of them and the footpath a couple of hundred yards away is unuseable at dusk.

Reply to
PeterC