Any views on B&Q kitchens?

Haven't MFI just sacked someone high up cos the new inventory system totally screwed up their deliveries?

Why do you say that? I found B&Q kitchen delivery to be excellent in all respects.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

I'm 1/2 way through fitting an ikea kitchen. we chose it over b&q/mfi because:

-they had a choice of fairly plain ones

-b&q's store display ones had been put together so badly it didn't look possible to do a proper job (either that or they were falling to bits

-mfi don't want you to buy a kitchen, they want to sell you a kitchen, so even getting a rough idea of prices wasn't easy (look inside the doors and you might find a salesman's crib sheet.

We're happy with it so far, though I have added extra fixing to the wall units, as we have 2 large units that aren't joined to anything for mutual support.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

I have run pipes inside 1 unit I've fitted, and might omit the back for pipes/cabling/cooker connector on another - I painted the wall white just in case.

I would rather have the back to the wall than in an arbitrary position wasting space and probably getting in the way of seomthing else.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Standard on Focus stuff along with metal sides.

Cost a bomb as add ons, (ie not much change from a fiver each) do you get 'em at a more reasonable price if you buy the cupboards as well?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Huh? I walked into my local MFI, and found a complete brochure and prices list.

I wanted some cheapo Hygena units to match some I have alredy. Not great, bit good enough.

Cheap too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go with the B&Q stuff. IME Ikea is very poorly made by comparison.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

You buy them seperately, but B&Q don't sell them individually, only in packs of four for around a fiver ISTR. I can't find them on the B&Q website at the moment and you may need to go to a warehouse branch.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

5 for a fiver. Search for part 3190005. I think when I bought some a year ago they were more expensive. They look different from the picture too (mine have an all plastic plunger)
Reply to
John Armstrong

A quid each is more like it. Maybe the packet I looked at had been "got at"...

It would be a good 6 months since I noted the price and decided against...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's the one! I bought mine last year and they were the same price but have the metal plunger.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

Without commented too heavily on the standard of B&Q cabinets. I would recommend that you shop araound and look for a manufacturer that supplies 18mm cabinets, preferrably with a solid back. Blum motion fittings and tandem drawer boxes are the latest kitchen fittings - and adds a bit of luxury but is not a necessity. Also cheap worktops are often poor standard - so these are worth shopping around. If you tell me where you are based, I might be able to recommend a supplier

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sounds like the Wickes "to order" range.

Reply to
Mike

In that case...

a) Where is the design software? The design your kitchen link takes me to a PDF doc, which isn't quite what I had in mind!

b) Do you know if you put 2 300mm doors on a 600mm unit? I know it seems obvious that you should be able to, but the price list is normally pretty good about saying what goes with what, and doesn't list that (obvious) choice as an option...

The guy hanging around the kitchen area (I hesitate to call him staff) at our B&Q was distinctly reluctant to help, and gave me completely inaccurate figures when I asked him about service gaps and so forth (I verified the figures by measuring their showroom units).

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Yes you can (and I have, following a slight c*ck up forgetting about the projection of the cooker hood...). Wouldn't work with drawers of course.

Reply to
John Armstrong

Yes you can, but you have to buy extra hinges.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Don't know about quality compared to IKEA but the quality of the B&Q standard drawer units is awful. Worth upgrading to their more expensive drawers if you decide to go for them.

Watach out waht you spend. If I had ordered another couple of bits & bobs (Which I ended up buying later anyway) I would have saved the delivery charge.

The little things that you fit to stop the doors banging are worth getting; the template for fixing door handles is a waste of money.

HTH.

Reply to
anthony.j.cunningham

There's definitely an echo in here.