Any opinions on Worcester 280 combi?

Just for information really. I've done the usual searches and found little about this specific combi boiler - certainly nothing on the worcester-bosch website (infuriatingly; I would have liked a PDF manual or similar). Even on uk.d-i-y there are only a few mentions, usually along the lines of "can I replace the PCB myself?"

Anyway... I presume this is a 28kW (input?) boiler. It is installed in a house which my sister and her husband are in the process of buying so I said I'd try to find out a bit about it. At the moment it runs radiators in 3 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, hallway and a kitchen, and the usual complement of sinks. There is no bath - the previous (elderly) occupant had an "easy access" shower installed with an electric shower.

My sister and husband are planning some work, including refitting the bathroom (with a bath :-), and installing an en-suite with shower.

Questions:

1: Is this boiler going to be able to run a decent thermostatic mixer shower (assume the mains water is ok)?

2: How about two showers (the children are growing...)?

3: How loud is this thing when operating? It is installed in one of the bedrooms unfortunately.

4: No-one is going to suggest it would be best to rip it out and start again, are they? I'd say it was only 15 or 20 years old at most.

Thanks for any comments / advice.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Yep.

Two of about 6-7 litres/min, yes.

I wouldn't like to have it in the bedroom, unless in a well insulated cupboard.

More like 10. As it is already there, they could run with it. Suck it and see, as they have nothing to lose. They likelihood of a bath and a shower being drawn at the same time may be remote in their house, so it will do their requirements. If it doesn't do the job, then a high flow combi is the best way out. A simple replacement in most cases.

Reply to
IMM

The manuals are available on the Worcester-bosch web site, just not easy to find. Any thermostatic mixer taps need to combi-friendly, otherwise the water heating *may* cut out if the flow rate drops (I believe this is true of most if not all combi's). Providing the water pressure is high enough, they work well for showers, would be ok with two, providing nothing else is pulling hot water at the same time. Mine's fitted in a bedroom cupboard, it was the easiest outside wall and a useless cupboard; after a week or so you don't notice it, it's also very easy access for servicing, repairs etc should it every need it. Providing it has been maintained correctly, it should go on for many years; might be worth asking if there are any service records?

Reply to
Erik the Viking