Any ideas for putting a washing machine motor to good use?

Secondary weapons: destroy tyre traction with WD40 spray and inject car body filler into the works

Reply to
Bob Eager

Aha! So you admit WD40 is a lubricant!!!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it just makes things slippery for a short time, so it doesn't inconvenience the attacker!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Be realistic - the earth will have entered another ice age before agreement on the design was made, negating the need for guttering

Reply to
geoff

Oh; we just called them, "drawers full of crap". One was usually to be found in the kitchen, next to the sink, containing all the useless bits of short string, rusty needles, ribbons, blunt scissors, thread, screws, cheap screwdrivers and pliers. I did have an idea for new home-owners, selling them a complete DFoC, but of a more useable sort. A proper DFoC takes years to accumulate and has a heritage to it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

As well a few DFoC, I also have an LFoC, a GFoC and three SFoC - all the product of over 50 years of careful accumulation.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Dennis would have a fit about the health and safety aspects, and then report it for speeding.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Go to a washing machine spares shop and trade it for something you do want!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, but it fires hot glue...

Reply to
John Rumm

I believe you will find this explains it all.

Muddymike

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Cor. A video of that would have been good.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

that might come in useful somehow implausible ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Why not use the motor to power a project? See website calenterprises.The metal shell also makes a good tool cupboard.

Reply to
staidans.hallhire

Not presumably, actually.

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Another old post then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes indeed! I posted the original question nearly 2 years ago!

Can't now remember what I did with the motor - think I chucked it!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yeess, often these things are so bespoke it is really pointless trying to re utilise them. I heard a good one the other day, apparently thedisc rotaion motors of cd and DVD drives are being used by aero modellers for driving the props round after suitable moods and a new driver circuit.

Good luck and I hope they don't fly apart on them lithium batteries they seem to use nowadays. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We've been using CD motors on aircraft for the last decade or so, they were the first cheap way to get a brushless motor in the hobby,

Nowadays you can buy ready made very powerfull brushless motors for peanuts it's hardly worth the bother, tho they do get sold with kits where you re-wind the motor to get a rev range and power suitable for a larger prop.

The li-po batteries going up in a ball of flames is a good special effect for war birds, that's if you are re-creating being shot down and crashing :)

I've been using li-po batteries for about 10 years now, treat them with respect and they are fine, and they are the biggest advance in model flight for a long time, so much power in such a light weight package... to think when i first got an electric model plane, it could hardly get off the ground due to the weight of the ni-cads, flew 4 minutes then the batteries were dead,

Nowadays i fly for half an hour on a li-po pack, and have to use lead weights to adjust the COG, as the pack isn't heavy enough like the old ni-cad packs were.

Reply to
Gazz

For an older machine, they are just universal mains motors with separate field and armature connections for reversing, and someones an extra field winding for the extra power on top spin speed. Some have a tachometer to feed back the speed if the machine is controlled by a microcontroller.

*However*, these are always run with speed or power controllers, and a load attached. If you try and spin one up without any speed control and without a load, some will spin fast enough for the armature to fly into pieces (rather explosively), so you should never do that.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel