Any ideas for putting a washing machine motor to good use?

On 27/08/2012 17:16, Muddymike wrote:

I find the concept of being restricted to just a single drawer of crap that might come in useful somehow implausible ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

writes

I have about 20 salvaged from various bits of agricultural equipment.
I got as far as stacking them on a couple of pallets with a view to making my fortune from the scrap copper bandwagon. They are still here!
I can claim to have re-used 3. ..... 2x bench drills and one to power a dust extractor.
For the inventive minds, one is a geared single phase drive for stirring the milk in a farm bulk tank...
regards

--
Tim Lamb

Sinclair C5.
-- Halmyre
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:19:56 -0700, Halmyre wrote:

Robot Wars.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 26/08/2012 22:35, Bob Eager wrote:

Can you imagine a UK.D-I-Y robot?
Main weapon would just have to be an angle grinder :-)

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:19:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Secondary weapons: destroy tyre traction with WD40 spray and inject car body filler into the works
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
On 27/08/2012 10:39, Bob Eager wrote:

Aha! So you admit WD40 is a lubricant!!!

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:59:06 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

No, it just makes things slippery for a short time, so it doesn't inconvenience the attacker!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Be realistic - the earth will have entered another ice age before agreement on the design was made, negating the need for guttering
--
geoff

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:19:20 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Dennis would have a fit about the health and safety aspects, and then report it for speeding.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:19:56 -0700 (PDT), Halmyre

With a very long (curly?) mains lead.
--
Frank Erskine

Boat anchor
Bait for passing gypsies
Impossible puzzle for budding electrical engineers
Nowt else useful
On 26/08/2012 16:30, Roger Mills wrote:

Go to a washing machine spares shop and trade it for something you do want!
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 4:30:52 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:

Why not use the motor to power a project? See website calenterprises.The metal shell also makes a good tool cupboard.
Roger Mills wrote:

Not presumably, actually.
jgh
Another old post then? Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 30/06/2014 07:43, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes indeed! I posted the original question nearly 2 years ago!
Can't now remember what I did with the motor - think I chucked it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
"Roger Mills" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

We've been using CD motors on aircraft for the last decade or so, they were the first cheap way to get a brushless motor in the hobby,
Nowadays you can buy ready made very powerfull brushless motors for peanuts it's hardly worth the bother, tho they do get sold with kits where you re-wind the motor to get a rev range and power suitable for a larger prop.
The li-po batteries going up in a ball of flames is a good special effect for war birds, that's if you are re-creating being shot down and crashing :)
I've been using li-po batteries for about 10 years now, treat them with respect and they are fine, and they are the biggest advance in model flight for a long time, so much power in such a light weight package... to think when i first got an electric model plane, it could hardly get off the ground due to the weight of the ni-cads, flew 4 minutes then the batteries were dead,
Nowadays i fly for half an hour on a li-po pack, and have to use lead weights to adjust the COG, as the pack isn't heavy enough like the old ni-cad packs were.

For an older machine, they are just universal mains motors with separate field and armature connections for reversing, and someones an extra field winding for the extra power on top spin speed. Some have a tachometer to feed back the speed if the machine is controlled by a microcontroller.
*However*, these are always run with speed or power controllers, and a load attached. If you try and spin one up without any speed control and without a load, some will spin fast enough for the armature to fly into pieces (rather explosively), so you should never do that.
--
Andrew Gabriel