Another hot loft

At the top of my victorian house is a bedroom, the ceiling of which is partly "under the eaves". ASCII cross-section picture (view in proportional font):

South /

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

How often do you look at your roof?

It's not complicated. We did it. I love it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I also have a Victorian house with a room under the eaves. I recently had this room refurbished and a large dormer fitted during which the builders took down the plasterboard and the glass fibre insulation material that was between the roofing felt and plasterboard. They replaced it with a flexible foil type material which came on a roll. It looks like a double layer of foil with a very thin layer of quilting between - sorry don't know the product name. This was attached to the rafters with thin battens and new plasterboard screwed to these. This has dramatically improved the insulation in the recent hot weather and the space is now usable whereas before it was simply stifling. It may seem excessive but it could well be worth the effort.

HTH

Peter

Reply to
peterd

As Peterd says, pull down the old ceiling and insulate. I used celotex tween the rafters leaving 50 mm between the insulation and the slates. Then plasterboard over the rafters using foil backed plaster board. This obvioulsy makes the room warmer / cheaper to heat in the winter.

Reply to
marvelus