Anchor Supplies Nottingham

Anchor Supplies, military surplus dealers, at the old Cattle Market, Nottingham, on the corner of Incinerator Road, have been, um, incinerated

It appears the fire was due to a firework

Ripley depot continues as normal

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I haven't bought, lit or watched fireworks (live) for *years*, maybe as many as 20.

I haven't because 1) I don't think it's magic or magical, it's science being used dangerously and 2) it's really just like setting fire to money.

In fact the only time I was actually 'interested' in fireworks was when I made my own or set them off as a kid.

When I see them when driving about or for the 6 weeks either side of Nov 5th ... as they go off I think '20 quid ... 50 quid ... 100 quid' ... and consider how that sort of money could be put to better use, often even by the people buying and burning them.

And all that is ignoring the cost of the damage done to property, life and all the mystery and suffering of pets and other animals around the country.

I guess one good thing is it might give us a feel what it might be like to live near a war zone.

I wonder if you stood in your garden and fired (hot) stones up in the air and around the neighbourhood, people would consider that acceptable?

With the organised displays ... it seems that to give any sort of effect these days (expectation) they have to send up several of the same thing at the same time? When I used to set them of with / for the family, part of the 'interest' (I can't call any of it 'fun') was going through a set one at a time and seeing how / if they kept up with their names. Often then didn't ... or maybe we just didn't set fire to enough cash per item ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I had exactly the same thought the other day in the supermarket, about scented candles.

It's cheaper and easier to wash my moustache with Imperial Leather. Then my whole world smells clean and fresh :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quite

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We had a power cut several years ago and I couldn't find our stock of candles in the dark, though did find some scented candles from a well known and expensive scented candle maker - so I used those. The smell was terrible, horrible. What was left of them after the power came back on, I consigned to the bin.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When we had a power cut years ago and used scented candles my dad said, "Bloody 'ell! It smells like a puff's parlour!"

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

So you'd ban cars because a small minority use them in a dangerous way?

That's a nut-job comment.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

And did your mother know about your father's wide circle of acquaintances?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Clothing department has reopened.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Classic left brainier and irrelevant response. What *use* are fireworks to anyone? We aren't (even) talking about anyone using anything in a 'dangerous way', fireworks hurt and maim people and burn down buildings and petrify animals even when they are being used in a safe a way as any explosives can.

Unless you are only lighting Catherine wheels or sparklers in your own back garden the chances are you will be annoying or putting other people / animals / property at risk that wouldn't be otherwise present.

Oh the irony.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Some parties are annoying. Let's ban all parties.

Some people are annoying. Let's ban people.

Some drunks are annoying. Let's ban alcohol.

See what I did there?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, you demonstrated the reaction of someone who is a left brainer.

Well done you! ;-)

But just in case you can be open minded and empathetic enough to learn something, I'll help you out with your errors.

Parties can be antisocial and antisocial parties can and are moderated by the law. Unfortunately before the law kicks in they would often have affected many people who have nothing to do with the party and so it would be less inconvenient to the vast majority to ban all parties.

Keeping it simple for the hard of thinking. Few would GAF if a party went on for 48 hours as long as it was well away from those not involved in it. A party going on till 1am on a Sunday in the middle of a housing estate should be prevented doing so. *You* should never be allowed to have a party as it's obvious you wouldn't be able to determine social from antisocial.

(Why aren't you sawing down speed cameras btw?)

The same applies to people (and hence ASBO's) and people being drunk and disorderly and drinking and driving. Those laws are in place because *some people* don't know how to behave as good citizens.

Also, there is a need for people to consume liquids (to survive) and if they do consume alcohol the vast majority of that consumption doesn't inconvenience as many people as say letting off fireworks or having a loud party till the early hours. I can choose not to live next to a pub. I can't predict who is going to land a rocket though my greenhouse or keep me awake for several nights a year (parties / fireworks). I don't inflict either on anyone, why should they do so to me?

I wouldn't ban the sale of indoor fireworks as long as they weren't a fire risk.

Get it yet, antisocial Brexiteer?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or vice versa?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I get that you talk like an idiot.

Welcome to the KF...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh how Brexiteers love to run away ...

(But thanks, saves me wasting any more effort on you).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well I?m not and you are coming across as a bit of a Puritan,

Perhaps you could form a party called something like the Revived Cromwellians and Roundheads and see if your views are held by many.

You could campaign that displays in future must be by drone swarms.

To be honest I can see them taking over many public displays anyway as they are more versatile than whizz bang thump crackle crackle, even large displays have lost their attraction for me as they have become too common.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Good idea (and I believe they would). ;-)

No, I don't care if the people doing then blow themselves up, just concerned that anyone who doesn't feel the need to 'celebrated' a failed attempt of terrorism has any right to argue the case that it's a massive and dangerous waste of money to anyone over 12?

Ok.

And once you have seen one ...?

I mean, I can sort of get taking a kid to watch a big / organised display but people do get hurt at such events and for what?

I think what I object to most is the wanton waste of money (mine as a taxpayer at a Council organised display), especially when Councils are cutting back so hard these days?

Even if people have the money to 'burn', is it right that they do and not just put a video of a display on a big screen (if they have to) and give the money to a Children's Hospital or some such?

I look at such things from first principals ... if the world was exposed to a M.I.B. like Nuralyzser and were all made to 'forget' the concept of 'fireworks', would we think to start doing such a thing

*today*?

I'm not suggesting that fireworks themselves are evil (other than there IS some inherent danger and often to innocent people in their (public) use and the likelihood of some annoyance in their use, partly down to how they often affect pets etc) but more the complete waste of money they are (and the pollution they cause), literally 'money going up in flames'.

Imagine watching a display and realising that the value of each effect could feed a family for a month (or more)?

I think we get set in all these things and don't actually think what they are all about (and if it's sensible we continue with them, till it's too late ... like smoking, drinking and over-eating etc)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Sort of, for a few years I lived within earshot of Southampton and there was a fashion a few years back to let them of whenever a new cruise ship was commissioned or in firms case when ever they they left after dark. And many seaside towns hold weekly displays in the Summer months to bring visitors in. They all get a bit samy and by the time November comes they are no longer a novelty.

But we all have our own interests and it will be a rare person who does not have at least one interest that you could put in that category.

Some motorsports especially dragster racing leave me cold as I don?t like a lot of noise unless it is from an impressive aircraft but thousands do , equally I like the steam vehicles such as seen at the Great Dorset Steam Fair but others will not. All could be said to be burning money and causing pollution while the costs associated with such machinery such as a dragster engine going pop would buy a few ready meals . So do we discourage all such activities or even more gentle ones such chugging along on a narrow boat just because the money spent on a leisure pursuit could go to charity?

GH

Reply to
Marland

Hadn't looked at that at the time ... amazing ... and reusable and unlikely to annoy or maim anyone or burn their property down. ;-)

The exception for me is when they fire them off a stadium or the London eye when it's then more the choreography rather that how much effect they can get in the air at once.

No, true, but not that would generally have so much impact on others and be such a complete direct burning (in a literal sense) of money.

Agreed ... loads of money spent on vehicles and fuel but they are highly unlikely to upset (or they wouldn't have moved there) or be a risk to the locals and no one forces you to go there and endure them? I have no say in someone next door having a firework party till 1am. Anyone being *reasonable* would ensure any such activity was finished by 9 at the latest.

When our daughter used to ride her Trials bike over on some waste land we made the point of ensuring it was quiet (the opposite of fireworks) and couldn't be heard by the nearest houses (the opposite of fireworks) and because she rode it responsibly and was in *full* control of that, there was a near to no chance of her hurting anyone or thing else (unlike fireworks).

No, but again, unless you are caught behind a steam engine on the road you aren't likely to be affected by one even running next door. Also, whilst the vehicles themselves are expensive (no issue with what people do with their money) and may well burn a bit of money (directly) in coal, it's not just burning the money for effect but function.

Sure, but that's a supplemental cost to the owner, not us as taxpayers with a council run display?

No, because that wasn't my point Graham. It's not even someone firing rockets because they are into rocketry, it's the spending large amounts of money to 'just' fire stuff into the air and have it explode without any consideration if the (potentially) thousands of people and animals around there also want the same?

I don't have to go to a firework event to have to endure fireworks.

Ok, another bugbear of mine is chimera and outdoor heating ... or having a bonfire for the sake of it (with the waste, risk and pollution), other than for disposing or waste etc.

Collecting up pallets just to burn them in your back garden seems pointless. Burning pallets to dispose of them whilst equally polluting and 'wasteful' (if they could still be used as pallets or re-purposed etc) but at least there is a valid 'reason'. A bonfire for cooking and heating whilst camping also 'makes sense', but not just for heat when you have a perfectly good and warm house to sit in! ;-)

I'm also not that keen on al-fresco eating ...BBQ's and the like as in most cases you are charring too much meat fairly close to a fully equipped kitchen with the flexibility to also cook veg etc (given the ongoing advice about eating less meat and the increased cancer risks from eating anything that is burnt or even smoked). IT's not tat I don't ever eat such things, it's just that it 'seems sensible' to keep such consumption to a reasonably low level.

And I don't just mean doing BBQ's, going to other peoples. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m