Amazon to stop accepting payments with Visa *credit* cards next year

The UKSI[1] that replaced the EU regulation[2] uses the same maximum 0.3% fee for credit cards, I guess it hinges around

?UK credit card transaction? means a credit card transaction where?

(a) the issuer and the acquirer are both located in the United Kingdom, and

(b)the point of sale is in the United Kingdom;

If it's a UK issued C/C and UK located customer, is the point of sale deemed to be within the UK?

[1]
[2]
Andy Burns

I put eu onto it because the local post office would not accept an Irish credit card but happilt accepted a uk one

Reply to
fred

Just had this from Amazon:

"The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk."

Not surprising. Amazon stopping the use of Visa credit cards wasn't going to do either side any favours.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

It was always an Amazon ploy to get Visa to reduce their charges plus to gain commission from various Mastercard providers when customers changed via their site. Historically Amex hasn't been widely accepted in the UK because of the high handling charges but Amazon would still have been accepting these cards.

Possibly people who use Amazon and have changed their payment method to a debit card should now revert back to a credit card which can give more protection for large purchases.

Reply to
alan_m

I was just intending to drop Amazon altogether. Had no intention of using my debit card, as it was hacked back in the Summer via another on-line purchase, although not Amazon. Eventually no financial loss to me, but once bitten etc. I can get most of what I buy from on Amazon on eBay, and pay via Paypal.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

We use visa for purchasing stuff at work, a university, we were told by the uni that we wouldn't be able to use amazon anymore because of this situation. But today I got this email from amazon.

---- The expected?change regarding?the use of?Visa credit?cards?on Amazon.co.uk?will no longer take place on January 19. We are working?closely?with Visa on a potential solution?that will enable?customers to continue using their Visa credit cards?on?Amazon.co.uk.?

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

------------------------------------

So for now panic over, now off to the post room to collect about £300 worth of stuff, that we ordered last week in slight panic mode.

Current panic level :- I don't give a shit what happens with visa :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

In the UK Debit card payments and purchases are not covered by section

75 of the Consumer Credit Act whereas it does protect your purchases over £100 if you use a credit card.

If you use Paypal to make credit card purchases you won?t have section

75 protection.

Chargeback on debit cards is more of a Bank code of practice but not part of UK law.

Reply to
alan_m