Alternatives to plastering

I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be able to paint.

So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will (hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.

Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?

'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.

Reply to
R D S

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..

Reply to
R D S

How about heavy lining paper? Covers up deep scratches in plaster and things. Over the really bad bits, put up some timber panels. Make it look more rustic. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

something

Pine matchboarding over all walls and ceiling, and swear blind it's the 1970's retro trendy thing to do

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Let's see:

Skateboards - check Flares - check Long hair on blokes - check.

matchboarding - it's a logical conclusion...

And half the stuff in the furniture stores - makes me feel I'm in a bad 70's sci-fi film: mushroom stools and bright orange plastic furniture.

Reply to
Tim S

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think it would look fine.

Where 'fine' has been redefined to mean 'fairly horrible'. :-)

If you want to go down that route, it seems to me that you need to be bolder - maybe a faux Japanese screen effect? Or Mondrian-alike. Or, well, something not like the gaps between plasterboard sheets!

But, though I would be worried about achieving a really good result, the tapered board and filler approach seems best to me.

Reply to
Rod

We've just had a glazed door and it's attendant glazed panels replaced with a glazed door in stud work. I'm too mean to shell for a plasterer just to skim this wee area, and I'm too crap at plastering to do it myself. So I'm going to fill the nail indentations/holes/gaps in the plasterboard, line it with 1000 grade lining paper (I might double line it, in fact) and then paint it. Should look ok - might post pictures here if I can be arsed.

Edward

Reply to
Edward

You see that sort of thing from the 1930s occasionally, with LDF instead of plasterboard. Horrible.

I wouldnt use paper in a bathroom either.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

LOL

Reply to
R D S

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to see where the filler is after painting. I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the norm.

I want to avoid lining paper if possible, I really hate papering.

Reply to
R D S

Just waiting for platform shoes to come in again for men. I felt tall then.

Reply to
Invisible Man

In message , R D S writes

Dry wall are fairly common, not rocket science

edges shouldn't be that difficult to get right

make sure you have enough batoning to prevent bowing and so that it doesn't sound too hollow when tapped

NC

Reply to
geoff

get "er" to do that bit

Have you not learned the secret ?

You do all the huffing, puffing, sweating and swearing doing the "hard work", and leave "er" to "finish off"

Reply to
geoff

should have gone to specsavers ...

Reply to
geoff

I have never done it. The hotel I was doing some electrical work at has had it done. You cannot tell where the joints are.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I spent 10 years at Specsavers, it shaped me into the person I am today.

Reply to
R D S

She'll only make a bollocks of it.

Reply to
R D S

Yup, if board and fill is done right, the results are spot on and you won't see the joins. You can stick up a frame screw boards to it, or dot n dab the boards.

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson" saying something like:

And several coats of orange varnish.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon