Alternatives to plastering

I need to decorate a bedroom, and I can't be arsed with the upheaval and mess of having it plastered (it will be necessary), I just want to be able to paint.
So I am thinking of sticking plasterboards to the wall with something inbetween the boards such as a thin piece of timber, slightly proud, so I don't need to try too hard to line the edges up and it will (hopefully)look as if I have done it on purpose.
Has anyone done this sort of things before? Did it look OK?
'Er indoors thinks i've gone off.
R D S wrote:

FFS if I could ever make a post without a typo..
writes

should have gone to specsavers ...
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

I spent 10 years at Specsavers, it shaped me into the person I am today.
R D S wrote:

Are you going to sue?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

How about heavy lining paper? Covers up deep scratches in plaster and things. Over the really bad bits, put up some timber panels. Make it look more rustic. :-)

and
be
something
so
Pine matchboarding over all walls and ceiling, and swear blind it's the 1970's retro trendy thing to do
AWEM
Andrew Mawson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Let's see:
Skateboards - check Flares - check Long hair on blokes - check.
matchboarding - it's a logical conclusion...
And half the stuff in the furniture stores - makes me feel I'm in a bad 70's sci-fi film: mushroom stools and bright orange plastic furniture.
Tim S wrote:

Just waiting for platform shoes to come in again for men. I felt tall then.
Andrew Mawson wrote:

LOL
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson"

And several coats of orange varnish.

Tapered plasterboard with filler where the boards meet?
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

Can good results be achieved? I imagine it would always be possible to see where the filler is after painting. I would rather do somthing controversial than have a crap version of the norm.
I want to avoid lining paper if possible, I really hate papering.
writes

get "er" to do that bit
Have you not learned the secret ?
You do all the huffing, puffing, sweating and swearing doing the "hard work", and leave "er" to "finish off"
--
geoff

geoff wrote:

She'll only make a bollocks of it.

and
I have never done it. The hotel I was doing some electrical work at has had it done. You cannot tell where the joints are.
Adam
ARWadsworth wrote:

Yup, if board and fill is done right, the results are spot on and you won't see the joins. You can stick up a frame screw boards to it, or dot n dab the boards.
--
Cheers,

John.

something like:

Checker plate. Dead cool in the living room if you set it off with a Yank V8 on a display stand in the middle of the floor.
I've been thinking of alternatives to plastering, and the best I could come up with was p/bd and lining paper w several coats of paint on it. Ply is always an option, of course, but p'bd does at least not burn.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

T & G is a possibility.
saying something like:

I quite fancy doing one room in wainscoting, and T&G is a deffo for it. Quite likely, ply above that.