Alert Pal Alarm Camera anyone?

In message , at

02:08:14 on Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Mathew Newton remarked:

recipient's mailbox, or that it has been opened/read.

That depends on how they collect their mail. If I send such an email to my own local email server, the only thing stopping it appearing in one of the recipient's mailboxes (barring the internal network failing) is if they've switched off their email client.

But even if you send someone a telex for FAX, with delivery confirmed, you can't guarantee it'll ever be taken off the machine and given to anyone.

Reply to
Roland Perry

And the email receipting mechanisms are terrible.

While a lot of the time I do not want to send a receipt, in working life it would often be useful. But I want the option - sitting there, on-screen, [Click here to tell sender you have received this email] or something like that. In fact it really needs a variety of statuses - "yes, looking now", "got it but won't be doing anything until next week".

And as a sender, I want to be able to view a list of emails I have sent and a single column identifying successful delivery/receipt. Not the ludicrous separate receipt email you have to link up to the one you sent.

Reply to
polygonum

I don't recall anyone saying you could. The comparison being made was that the (un)reliability of SMS was similar to e-mail.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I wonder what the output of the power adapter is, and whether you could derive that from a car battery. If so, that should last a bit longer!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm not as au fait with SMS as email, but if they're analogous, then it only takes a node in the chain which *doesn't* support receipts, and the mechanism is broken.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

SMS is very similar to email; it's "fire and forget". There's no guarantee of delivery at all, never mind speedy delivery.

Reply to
Huge

In message , at

03:05:36 on Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Mathew Newton remarked:

I'm trying to explore what people think "reliable" means.

Is it knowing I've got the email onto a server three feet away from the recipient (with onward delivery to their PC the default), or are we looking for a receipt which says they've also opened it?

There is of course the whole MDN thing, but it's almost never used.

Roland Perry

5.5V - I could bodgerise a mobile car charging lead I guess.
Reply to
usenet2012

In this context it's knowledge that once the message is sent, it will get to it's destination within a set period of time - enough to be useful. Which is of course impossible.

The next best thing, is the knowledge that if the message could not be delivered (for whatever reason) the sender will be notified within a set period of time - enough to be able to either resend the message, or arrange an alternative route.

The old world analogy of course, would be with the postal system. It's an inherently unreliable one, but can be enhanced with recorded delivery.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

A 6volt 12ah dryfit would last weeks, then recharge overnight on a car battery charger

Steve Terry

Reply to
Steve Terry

In message , at 14:51:10 on Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Jethro_uk remarked:

Depends on how you define destination. I can provide people knowledge that an email to one of my domains has reached the in-house server three feet from me.

And anyone sending an email direct to that server will be informed immediately if it's undeliverable. Although if they go through an intermediary (such as their ISP) to send the email then there will be a process of silent retries for maybe a day or two, followed by noisy retries for anything up to a week.

Recorded delivery just says it got to the premises. Not to the person, nor that they opened (let alone read) the letter.

My scheme above is at least as good as Recorded Delivery as far as those aspects are concerned.

Reply to
Roland Perry