Aircraft circling low, with white lights flashing

It must have done at my count 40 very tight circles, before I got bored watching. It had landing lights on, around 10 miles from the airport and had white lights flashing on wing tips. I couldn't see any navigation lights. What might that have been doing?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

when/where?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Police sometimes circle while using Stingray or similar to intercept criminal or other suspect mobile phones, but they wouldn't normally do it very low. I suppose they might have been constrained by the proximity of an airport. At one time you could sometimes see this activity on FlightRadar but now I think they have the option to prevent it being displayed.

Reply to
newshound

West of Garforth, today 20:15 on..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

newshound laid this down on his screen :

Do West Yorkshire have an police aircraft, I know they have an helicopter?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Didn't have a chopper handy.

Reply to
Fred

I saw two military aircraft yesterday (Fri) flying in formation over Prestwich (3 mi N of Manchester) going roughly North.

SWMBO suggested it might be to do with the D of E funeral.

Reply to
Graham.

Planefinder.net does show a single aircraft arrive from the south, swizz around for a bit (doesn't look like 40 circles on screen, but don't know what resolution/interval it records at)

Seemed to spend longer over Huddersfield earlier in the afternoon

aircraft is G-POLV, which is a national police plane, so that seems to fit

Andy Burns

Burning off fuel, photography, just being a pain to the locals? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

And how big a plane, you often see twin engined prop jobs doing that over traffic hot spots or some event or other here near London apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Visibility strobes.

Not necessarily on during daylight.

Waiting at a holding point for permission to join the landing circuit.

Reply to
nightjar

At one point in time, one of the London ILR stations used to use such a plane.

Reply to
charles

That depends upon the type of airport, the type and size of aircraft and how busy it gets. Most of the holding points for my local airfield are rarely used because it rarely gets that busy.

Depends on the size of the aircraft. I used to in mine.

Reply to
nightjar

+1 except if the FI was on-board then they had to be proper race-track ovals :-)

Avpx (P1 lapsed)

Reply to
The Nomad

We've had the same thing several times. Apparently the police are playing with a new fixed wing plane.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

The centre of the tight circles was gradually drifting. It was too far away to ID the type of aircraft, which had the setting sun behind it. I've never seen one before with flashing white lights on the wing tips.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

nightjar has brought this to us :

It was a very tight circle, the occupants would be dizzy when it eventually landed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

williamwright expressed precisely :

A possible explanation.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It doesn't work that way. The forces are downwards through your seat, so your inner ear doesn't get disorientated.

Reply to
nightjar

Mark Carver