air con or dehumidifier?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Fredxx saying something like:

Every time I clean the fluff filter I'm reminded that used to be part of my clothes. Doesn't take many cycles to prematurely wear out some items.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I am on the verge of buying a dehumidifier for this very purpose. Having read quite a lot about the system it seems it works better in conjunction with a fan and a timer that switches the dehumidifier on and off at set intervals. The advantages include; cheaper to run than a tumble drier, less damage to clothes and the ability to dry things that can't go in the tumble drier. The downside is the space required to hang the clothes but than is not an issue for us as we have a small laundry room. The water bottle/plumbed in type are considered far better than the exhaust type.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

dehumidifiers have a control on them that does that

The advantages include; cheaper to run than a tumble drier, less

exhaust type are ac units rather than dhs.

NT

Reply to
NT

Sounds like you are confusing air conditioners and dehumidifiers. A dehumidifier normally exhausts back into the room and adds heat to that room. It has to put the condensate into a bottle or a drain of some type.

A cheap AC unit puts the heat out of the exhaust pipe, it can also put the condensate out of that pipe. They remove heat from the room and hence do not dry as efficiently as a dehumidifier even though they dehumidify the air.

Clothes dry far better in warm dry air than in cold dry air.

The extra fan may speed things up if the built in fan doesn't circulate the air well, it depends on the size of the room, etc.

Reply to
dennis

dehumidifier. Just need a good place to buy one from. Anyone got a recommendation?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

condensing tumble drier is best option

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Not if you don't want a tumble drier it isn't :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I find hanging the clothes on the ceiling dryer (Google for "Kitchen Maid") with the kitchen window slightly open results in them being bone dry by the time I get home from work.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Well I got a dehumidifier and washed a load of towels and jeans yesterday. Within 14 hours they where pretty much dry, which is a lot quicker than normal in the room the where in. Towels normally take about 36 hours in that room to be completely dry, so it's definitely going to speed p clothes drying.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Good to hear a positive outcome.

NT

Reply to
NT

It's amazing how much water this thing drags out of the air, very very impressed. Went for a De'Longhi 12l per day model rather than saving a few pounds going for a bargain basement model.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

If you can use it in a smaller place (I use the airing cupboard), then it may work much faster as the room will lose less of the heat generated. Also works best if the room is air-tight.

If you use a steam iron, keep the condensate water for that.

I have also used it to water plants which can't take tap water, when I've run out of rain water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

,

I'm quite a lazy bugger, so tend to do three or four loads of washing at a time and dry them all together. Then go for a couple of weeks without having to bother again. The wife disagrees and tends to do two loads more often. Either way a much smaller space would cause problems hanging everything up in a way to get the air flowing through it all.

We don't have plants. The wife can kill plastic flowers, real plants are a waste of money :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan