Air-con installation quote

I’ve just asked for a quote for a 5kW split air/air heat pump for air conditioning and heating. The quote is for a Mitsubishi unit and is a smidge under £2500.

Is this in the right ball-park or taking the p*ss? There aren’t any structural/electrical or plumbing “gotchas” that would complicate things. The outside unit would be above head height but it’s for a ground floor room.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Is that 5kW heating/cooling or 5kW electrical?

If I pick the MSZ-HR50VF from here:

heating/cooling)

it's £750+vat.

I'm not clear whether it comes with wall mounting brackets, but they aren't complicated if not. They'll need some decent anchors into the exterior wall.

Electrical supply 16A, so that could mean a new circuit on the consumer unit.

Piping wise you'll need a pair of insulated copper refrigerant pipes through the wall, terminated at each end.

A condensate drain pipe from inside to outside - plastic pipe will do for that.

Evacuate the pipework. Check it'll hold vacuum for <time period>

Fill with 800g of R32, which is £210 for 9kg, so about £19:

Test.

Needs two people because the units are heavy. Let me guess: half a day maybe, assuming the pipe/wire runs are simple?

No idea what an HVAC person's hourly rate is, let's say £100ph at the upper end. So that's £800 in labour.

Let's say the pipework and stuff is £100. So:

£750: unit £100: sundries £ 19: refrigerant £800: labour

----- £1669: total

+VAT

----- £2003

So that suggests your figure is on the high side. I may have my estimates very off, though.

If you aren't in a hurry, try asking in the winter. Nobody wants aircon installed then.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

5kW output. Apologies, meant to state that first time round.

Getting another quote so they may be a bit flexible about the price.

Well given the way our climate seems to be going, extra cooling my be a more urgent need.

Anyhow, sounds like £2500 isn’t outrageous. Thanks.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No its probably the cost of the labour. I'm not sure about heat pumps, but they do seem to be all over the place in New Zealand, even the colder bits from what I've heard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

units, the 5kw equivalent is about £250 dearer, so I would expect a slightly lower price. On the other hand four at once will have efficiencies...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade