Agricultural/farm machinery paint VS ordinary vehicle paint.

Hi there, just dropping out of lurk mode to see if anyone in the know could answer me this.

Been watching some youtube videos on vehicle restoration.

Several of these recommend using Agricultural (farm machinery) paint for the wheel wells and underside of the chassis.

Also seen videos recommending this stuff when restoring old hand tools.

So, is this stuff more durable, or better at keeping the elements off, than regular car paint or ordinary metal paint?

It's a damnsite dearer, that's for sure.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Simon T (Dark Angel

My kitcar has fibreglass arches, but the "paint" that I used on the undersides is also suitable for steel arches. It forms a thick, rubbery layer, that not only keeps water and salt off the arches, but absorbs impacts from stones, etc., that might otherwise chip paint.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I would have thought the main thing would be to make sure the rust is gone first Certainly agricultural paint looks and feels thicker and does not chip as easily. I know that much, but I'm no paint expert. I painted a wheelbarrows metal bits with yellow many years ago, and it lasted very well. You doo need to prepare the surface well though. I don't do daft things like gardening these days!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

'Tractol' paint is formulated for agricultural machinery

Reply to
Billy Orange