affect of lime on colour

If I had a 1:4 cement/sand mortar (grey cement, orange/brown sand), how much would it lighten in colour if I made it 1:1:4 cement/hydrated lime/sand which seems to be the equivalent mix ? Also, how would the strength compare with the 2 mixes ? I know the lime acts as a plasticiser and will affect the colour, but does it add any strength to the mix ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

uch would it lighten in colour if I made it 1:1:4 cement/hydrated lime/sand which seems to be the equivalent mix ?

cts as a plasticiser and will affect the colour, but does it add any streng th to the mix ?

Well it appears that lime is not available in Wickes or B&Q and there are n o builders merchants open until tuesday (well not sure about Buildbase), an d since I am supposed to be building my wall over the weekend, I guess it w ill have to be standard mortar, possibly half snowcrete to lighten it a bit . Perhaps mortar is generally sand cement and addmix these days. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could always leave the pointing till after the holiday

Reply to
stuart noble