Advice please Sofa first floor lounge

Bit off topic, i have a three seater sofa that I need to get into my first floor lounge, it wont go up the stairs. I have a window that it will fit thru but no idea on how to get the sofa up through the window without damaging it.

Kind Regards

Kris

Reply to
kris.job

I have all the sympathy in the world with you - I've just spent the entire weekend and £150 replacing all the handrails & spindles on my staircase from when the missus decided she wanted a super kingsize bed!!! At the time of delivery, we'd already got rid of the old bed and faced a night or more on the sofa so out came the saw & hammer and a serious lack of delicate de-construction. Maybe you could try phoning around local removal companies as they probably will have come across this type of problem many a time and could provide some good advice.

Best of luck

Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I will be following this with interest as I'm currently getting grief from my brother because I'm making my stairs even less useful for such purposes - even though I'm building in more storage than even Imelda Marcos could fill ... (the issue being with getting antiquified wardrobes up the stairs - I'm assuming that any bed I buy will be dismantleable)

I can't help being reminded of a book by Douglas Adams where a use is found for an Apple Mac. :-

gentlegreen

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

The kind delivery men from John Lewis fitted our 3' + 3' double bed (she likes a soft mattress) through a bedroom window after they discovered it would not go up the stairs.

The technique was to use an extending ladder, supplied by me, (closed for strength) with one bloke at the top pulling and the other underneath pushing.

Best to remove window latches etc.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Contact the makers of the sofa and see if it can be dismantled - on some the arms are bolted on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tie a rope round it, securely. Get one person to stand on the roof and raise the sofa, another person stands inside the upper room and guide it in.

Always better to pull than push.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno about a first floor issue, but we recently purchased a new sofa and it wouldn't fit through the lounge door. Our tame glazing expert turned up, added two lifting suction devices to a suitable ground-floor window, went inside and removed the black rubber trim then the glazing beads (right terminology?) and with help from my strapping son they lifted out the window. Insert sofa; replace glass and refit trim. About 20 minutes work (so I was told), cost me a couple of pints for the fellow's time and saved my bacon with SWMBO.

But that was on the ground floor...

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

ROFL! What a joke.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Dumb idea of the year award coming up. It might be ok for some people on some types of single story flat roof, but otherwise its one of those idiot moments. Installing 2 combis with a hacksaw would be a much better idea.

Some sofas can be partly dismantled. Some of the better quality wooden garden furniture makes a good comfortable sofa and is fully dismantlable, but the open wood frame style is somewhat different to what people usually expect these days.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Just phoned round my local removal companies =A3160 + VAT to move it. Its not cheap but if it gets damaged at least they are insured. I will watch with interest the method they use!

Cheers

Kris

Reply to
kris.job

If the sofa has castors, and you are only an inch or two short of space, removal of the castors sometimes allows manoeuvring through tight spaces. If not, try sliding it up two ladders up to the windows, two pushing and two pulling on ropes.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Not at all. We did it with a very heavy chest of drawers.

But I might have expected that response from such sources.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's no good, we'll have to see a picture of the sofa and/or the window to make a call on this one. The minimal dimensions of a sofa are very different depending on the shape.

I move house quite a bit and the number of times I've found that a weird (non-intuitive) rotation of a sofa will get it through a space that I was *convinced* was too small...

Chips.

Reply to
Chips

I know it doesn't help, but as with many aspects of life, the Dutch are way ahead of us :-

houses being fitted with a pulley for just this purpose.

Reply to
gentlegreen

I'd rather use a couple of ladders and some rope rather than spend =A3160 but then I am a bit tight.

Reply to
adder1969

I'd rather use a couple of ladders and some rope rather than spend £160 but then I am a bit tight.

I thought everyone on this group (diy) would have a pulley or some sort already.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from Chips contains these words:

I had to move a sofa from one house to another today - considerable trial and error was invloved, and removal of the washing line pole from the garden.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "gentlegreen" contains these words:

Except of course they were originally mercantile houses and the jib and pulley was for moving stock in and out from the canals. Keeping it on modern houses for moving furniture is of course a jolly good idea, but that's not what it was originally for.

Reply to
Guy King

more fool you. You recommend it, I dont think its too smart an idea, and thats that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would have thought fears of liability and insurance would stop most people doing that here. Imagine a nice double bed dangling 5 floors up.

NT

Reply to
meow2222