Advice on an interior ceiling - unusual request!

The house I live in was built by the previous owner. Some of his work was good, some wasn't. The kitchen ceiling isn't too hot.

Inside it's not a plaster ceiling like a normal room, it's made from strips of linked timber (looks better than it sounds). Only problem is that it's not air tight, so whenever it's windy there's a heck of a draught from the ceiling and recessed light fittings. There's insulation above it but no solid panels.

I have access from the garage through the gable wall, a hole only

70x90cm! No other way in. Ceiling is about 14x30 feet.

I intend to put panelling of some sort on top of the joists and insulation. It's purely to seal it, not load bearing at all.

The question is what sort of panelling? Some sort of mdf, 3 ply or similar? It'll have to be cut into 70cm strips which is annoying, but I have a table saw.

Would covering the area in Tyvek wrap or similar be any use?

All ideas most welcome!

Reply to
John Burns

Don' bother with paneling at all. FIrst lay a watertight later of plastic (e.g. DPC material) to prevent condensation rising up there and then lay half sheets of Kingspan which should just fit through the hole. Seal together with tape and the insulation improvement should be immediately noticable in this weather.

Reply to
Mike

Mr Pythagoras will let you get away with ~114cm strips

Reply to
Andy Burns

No he won't, there a joist in the garage roof in the way :-(

Reply to
John Burns

So trade Mr Euclid for Mr Klein! Just immerse the joist in the 4th dimension and your sheeting is simultaneously inside the hatch and still in the garage ;-)

I'll get me coat ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

"John Burns" wrote | > Mr Pythagoras will let you get away with ~114cm strips | No he won't, there a joist in the garage roof in the way :-(

Dissolve the joist with caustic soda.

Or just throw in a couple of canoe-loads of spray foam and retire.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Tongue and groove used as a ceiling?

I'm not an expert on regs, but this sounds to me like a potential fire hazard - it would burn very easily with air on both sides.

Correctly such cladding would have a conventional plaster ceiling behind it which would address the draught probem, too.

All IMHO.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Unfortunately all the rage some years ago.

Yep - and all the stuff I had to rip down to put in insulation burnt very well in the wood burning stove. Seemed to be a particularly well burning wood :-) (or perhaps :-( for those with such ceilings.)

Reply to
Mike

And a long time ago as well - my small fourth bedroom in my Victorian semi had one, and it looked original. Much thicker T&G than the stuff you see today, though, for cladding purposes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ohers have covered the basics, but...if its a pianted sealing, go round every single tongue and groove with decorators caulk, and re-paint it.

Not sure what would match natural wood tho.

I LIKE this sort of ceiling by the way.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So do I. Don't think my fiance does alas. Too bad ;-)

Reply to
John Burns

It certainly suits older houses. I've got one in the kitchen end of my breakfast room. But over plasterboard, so no draughts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)