adhesive removal

we have fitted a pair of french doors,they look great but there are bits of adhesive on the glass,we have tried thinners,nail polish remover xylene and it will not budge,any ideas folks?

Reply to
bob

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I used this to clean off the sticky residue left after removing self-adhesive Velcro -

A stiff plastic food scraper (or old credit card?) is useful for scraping off the softened goo.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Meths or IPA (not the beer!). I find one or the other removes most things I come across in a domestic environment.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Have you tried a scraper like

These use a trimming knife blade and are excellent

Reply to
Vortex7

+1 vote.
Reply to
Dave Osborne

If the glass is flat and you are talking traces of masking tape and where labels were stuck on the glass, an old fashioned razor blade or a good sharp

1" or so chisel are usually quickest. Most traces will then either wipe off with an alcohol, or white spirit.

Some very stubborn label adhesives ( the worst I know is dried sunflower oil as it happens), you can spot treat with Nitromors with a small brush and wipe off with kitchen paper, taking care not to get any spots on any paintwork.

If you are talking squidged out silicone you may have to score round the glass carefully first (with something softer than the glass) so that it does not pull out from under the glass when you pull it off.

Hardest of all is the bathroom window glass with a sort of stone chip effect. This is particularly bad to get anything out from all the facets. I found a handy set of small cranked head wire brushes from Wilko for just a couple of quid were easiest for this: still hard work though!

Spamlet

In message , bob writes

Stanley blade

Reply to
geoff

A copper scourer removes pretty much anything from glass and wont scratch it. Do /not/ use a steel scraper or blade, too often the result is pemanent scratching.

Tabby

Reply to
geoff

what's the adhesive? or if you don't know - what was being stuck with it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K