Adding an ammeter to a car

The dynamo didn't like being run at full output for long periods either. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That was my first thought, but he wants to use the period meter so you'd have to modify that so you could drive it with e.g. an Arduino.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That's why you take the measurement with a small caliper, and transfer it to a measuring scale or vernier caliper once you have it somewhere more accessible. Calipers are cheap and very useful.

6.35mm is exactly a quarter inch, by definition - I expect they just dropped the 0.05 for convenience rather than rounding it up. The connectors are probably made something like 6.30mm male and 6.40mm female for an easy fit (and they're probably not specified to 0.01mm anyway).
Reply to
Rob Morley

Modern ones are perfectly compatible with the old 1/4" versions - same across all the spade terminal range. Although some modern ones ain't as well made as originals. Thinner brass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman wrote

Mate of mine running a moggy traveler had some electrical issues and asked me to look at it.

Found it had an alternator fitted and that had failed, turned out the car was an ex Oxford Police vehicle and they had the alternator installed to cope the with extra load of beacon, radio etc. Nearest match was one off a Ford Transit. The original had seen a lot of use,as well as the Police use it had first belonged to my mates brother who took it down through Francos Spain and Across into North Africa and back again twice.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Lots of later cars still used the A series engine but with an alternator, so fitting one now would give a wider choice than when the Moggy was current.

I've fitted a modern 100 amp unit to my SD1. Replacing the 75 amp Lucas unit. Cost me less than finding the correct one new. Apart from upping the wiring size, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)